375 Ruger any good

Engineering101

I recently picked up a Savage Model 116 in 375 Ruger. I got if for a potential build but the more I look at this cartridge the more I like it. Anyone have any experiences with it either good or bad?

I like mine. It is a Pac-Nor 3 groove 24" rebarrel on a Post 64 Winchester Model 70

DSC00863.jpg

I only worked with 2 bullets, the 270 TSX and the 260 Accubond. Only one powder RL17

Got the 260 AB to 3000 fps without pressure signs but backed down to the above load....well, just cause

Woods

By my math those Accubonds at 3,000 fps are cranking out 5,200 ft lbs muzzle energy. Pretty impressive in a 30-06 length case. And those are some big bullet holes! Do you have that beast braked? How is the recoil? Have you had a chance to shoot anything with it yet? If so what did the game do when hit?

I don't know why you don't see the 375 Ruger being more popular with elk hunters. Guys seem to claim how the 338's and 250+ grain bullets have superior ability to anchor elk, but why not the 375 w/260 grain bullets?

Its definitely an interesting cartridge. :cool:

Woods

By my math those Accubonds at 3,000 fps are cranking out 5,200 ft lbs muzzle energy. Pretty impressive in a 30-06 length case. And those are some big bullet holes! Do you have that beast braked? How is the recoil? Have you had a chance to shoot anything with it yet? If so what did the game do when hit?

No brake, don't like 'em. However I have taken steps for recoil. Got it made with a heavy barrel and put a Knoxx stock on it

All up it weighs about 11#s and the stock works

Kicks about like a light 300 win mag

Loaned it to a friend and he shot a Nilgai with it, one shot DRT, now he wants to buy it.

Personally I haven't shot anything with it. Still love my 338RUM for Elk hunts and it is lighter, at least a little bit. Plan on shooting a big hog with it but haven't done it yet. Too many guns to use

woods

I hear you about the too many guns too use. And now I have this 375 Ruger to decide what to do with. I think I'm going to see how it shoots though it weighs only 7.5 pounds full up with scope and no brake. I'm guessing it will kick me into the middle of next week unless I do something to get the weight up. I bought some bullets today to play around with. They really area impressive. Might have to do some bear hunting if it all works out.

I've got a Ruger Guide Gun in 375 Ruger. Not sure why I bought it but just felt like playing with something "bigger".

I must admit, its very enjoyable to shoot and surprisingly accurate. While I waited for some 260 Accubonds to become available, I fooled around with the 260 Partition and the 270 TSX bullets. Both shot surprisingly well at 200yds and groups at 300yds proved that kills at that distance would well within reason.

Eventually, I used the 375 Ruger to take a bull Bison. I shot the buffalo broadside from 120yds. The 260 Partition penetrated completely and was found in the off-side hide.
Recovered bullet looked text book perfect and weighed 220gr.

260_Part_2.JPG

varmit hunter

I think the "something bigger" bug has bit me too. That is a really nice looking mushroom on that bullet. What is the diameter of the mushroom? Looks to be about 0.6" from the picture. I'm guessing your rifle is braked since you said it is enjoyable to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.