Who likes a good Scout Rifle?

threejones

I know LRH might not be the best place to pose this question, but I can't resist at least asking. I've been toying with building a little scout type bolt gun lately. Not the typical rig for this site, but not what usually catches my eye either, so I figured I'd ask here. I was thinking about a remy7 with a 16in tube, ala Cooper's "One all purpose gun." Or the Ruger GSR Scout, maybe CZs 550 carbine. Something super short and light with a low power optic (G&A had a recent write-up on the Ruger GSR that renewed my scout rifle interest, plus I need a new white tail gun for hunting the timber around here. 150yds is pretty "long" for this kind of hunting) The thing is this... I'm NOT a Ruger fan, but after playing with a little GSR, I'm kinda falling for it. It might just be the novelty of a rifle that weighs less than 10pounds and so different from anything I've got. But for the price, I'd have trouble building anything cheaper for a light, hiking, close range/truck. type gun.

I guess what I'm asking is, what does anyone know about the GSR? And better yet, anybody got a recipe for a good short, light, bolt gun, that will cost any less than the Ruger? So far I just can't figure anything easier or cheaper than just buying stock GSR? It's just an excuse to buy a new rig, but I need new cheap toy... help me find it. Or, talk me into, or out of the Ruger.

I have 2 rifles that "I" consider scout guns (even though they are both longer than what is typically considered a true Scout).

1) .243 Win 20" barrel and Youth length stock. It is awful handy and I use it for whitetail when it's real cold out (since I wear more clothes, the shorter stock fits perfectly for quick work).

2) 7mm Rem Mag 24" barrel with super lightweight Brown Precision stock. It weighs 8lbs with sling, bipod, scope and ammo. I've shot 1/2 moa and less out to 800yds with it. Not bad for an 8lb rifle.

I've thought about putting the .243 Win in a Choate folding stock, so it'd be easier to toss into a backpack.

When I need something smaller than these rifles, I grab my 7mm-08 TC encore pistol with 14" barrel and bi-pod.

AJ

I have wanted one forever dont like Rugers so thats out of the question
I'm not a Ruger fan for longer shooting either. But the m77 action isn't known for accuracy, more for reliability, so it seems like a good truck/light carry stick. It shouldn't matter much at 200yrds or less anyway. Anybody actually have, or have used one of these things? Or better yet, any other favorite "Scout" type rifles?

I have 2 rifles that "I" consider scout guns (even though they are both longer than what is typically considered a true Scout).

1) .243 Win 20" barrel and Youth length stock. It is awful handy and I use it for whitetail when it's real cold out (since I wear more clothes, the shorter stock fits perfectly for quick work).

2) 7mm Rem Mag 24" barrel with super lightweight Brown Precision stock. It weighs 8lbs with sling, bipod, scope and ammo. I've shot 1/2 moa and less out to 800yds with it. Not bad for an 8lb rifle.

I've thought about putting the .243 Win in a Choate folding stock, so it'd be easier to toss into a backpack.

When I need something smaller than these rifles, I grab my 7mm-08 TC encore pistol with 14" barrel and bi-pod.

AJ
I thought about the youth stocks as well, plus they can be had for less than a full length. But at 6'2" with long arms, I need a long length of pull already. The folder might not be a bad idea.

I have three of the Styer Scouts in .243, .308 and .375 Steyr. The .243 wears a conventional scope but the others the Leupy 2.5x. they are excellent, quick and accurate rifles out to 300 yards. A lot of fun to shoot.

Mines called a model 94. Was great when my eyes still worked for iron sights. I see a
red dot in it's future if I ever need it again. Never saw a reason to switch to a bolt
gun in close.

721 Remington, Canjar single set trigger, Brown Precision Kevlar, Shilen barrel @ 22", 2x Leupold, 30-06. A bit longer and heavier than specs, but close enough to validate the concept for me. Very usable and practical, and where's the fun in that! LOL. At any rate I moved on, currently for that style of use A pre-64 model 70 Featherweight, Brown Kevlar stock, 30-06, with a more conventional 2.5-8x Leupold. Not to quibble with the Colonel, but I do believe most of us pick up a few more yards with a little more optic.

+1

Mine's 223, but I'd like to get a 6.5, 6.8, or 30 cal someday.

I figure .308's gotta be the bomb for hogs in hot pursuit.

-- richard
I'm just not much of an AR guy. I suppose I could just scope my cheap old Bushmaster, but then I wouldn't have a good reason to buy a new rig:D. Plus they tend to be a bit more spendy in .308 or bigger, not to mention heavier to pack. I'd like a rig in .308 or bigger (prefferably 300wsm, as I already load for it) with the hopes that I finally draw a moose tag around here.

I hadn't though about the GSR as a hog gun, but I bet your right on that. You may have just sealed the deal for me. I've got inlaws in Dallas that I'm hoping to do some hog hunting with soon. Now I've got all the excuses I need to buy a scout gun... But the GSR, or something better?...

721 Remington, Canjar single set trigger, Brown Precision Kevlar, Shilen barrel @ 22", 2x Leupold, 30-06. A bit longer and heavier than specs, but close enough to validate the concept for me. Very usable and practical, and where's the fun in that! LOL. At any rate I moved on, currently for that style of use A pre-64 model 70 Featherweight, Brown Kevlar stock, 30-06, with a more conventional 2.5-8x Leupold. Not to quibble with the Colonel, but I do believe most of us pick up a few more yards with a little more optic.
+1 on that. My eyesight isn't all that great, and I hate wearing glasses in the field. Plus, why not have a Scout that reaches out there a bit further while still being short and handling quick and easy. Best of both worlds.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.