Storing components

Schnyd112

Powder, brass, bullets and primers. I have heard all kinds of problems that can arise from storing these improperly. I live in northern Nevada (close to zero humidity, all the time) but the temp can range from below zero to over 100. Currently, I keep all of it in the garage. It stays about 10-15 degrees warmer than outside during the winter but I still need a heater to do anything from December-march.

I don't store large amounts of loaded ammo, a few rounds for hunting but they usually get shot within a month of being loaded. Some pistol loads will stay for longer, but still no longer than 3-4 months. I try to prep and load ammo a day or two before I wil be using it and have had good results.

I am just looking to see if anyone has actually noticed problems after storing components in an area not temp regulated (again, very dry here). Metallurgy says it will cause changes, but is it enough to make a difference in fired, unsized brass and loose bullets?

The powder and primers I am confident are fine. Especially after using some h4831 and hs-6 that were 20 years old and stored similarly.

This is my first year here in Northern NV. So I'm of little help. I store all my reloading components in the garage as well. I load almost every week and shoot almost every weekend. Haven't had any issues this far. I keep around 1500 rounds loaded of various ammo.
I moved down from Fairbanks AK and had the same setup up north for years and had zero issues with loading components or loaded ammo. gun)

Well I hope you are enjoying everything the Great Basin has to offer. I absolutely love hunting around here, have been in the "area" since 1995, hunting since 1998. I grew up hunting in winnemucca, have ventured out now and explored extensively from tonapah north.

Thanks for the reply, if you did it in Fairbanks, I am way more confident about what I am doing.

Haven't gotten the opportunity to hunt here yet. Got here too late for the draw and work seems to keep getting in my way.
Did get a few birds a month the ago. Thinking about chasing some yotes but haven't done that yet either.
Guess maybe I'm just lazy. LOL.

112, kids grew up, moved out. I got one room to myself, everything in climate controlled former bedroom. One problem, I bought a ton of powder and primers in case the Liberals took power, so I vacuum sealed the primer bricks since they don't have any protection.

I drew last in 2014. Not much time to hunt this year so I had to put in for bonus points. Have got one good day chasing chukar and a very frustrating day in the duck blind. I have big hopes for 2017. An elk or sheep tag could be right around the corner.

Dosh: my kids aren't leaving for at least 10 years so my bench will stay in the garage. I could comendeer some closet shelf space for storage inside, but would probably be in the dog house for a while. I am in a similar situation though. I shoot several calibers, pistols and shotguns so have a good amount of powder and primers.

I have several pounds of powder and several thousand primers stored in a old fridge that's unplugged in the basement. I have a golden rod mounted inside, and monitor the humidity in my basement. I been doing this for about ten years with no problems..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.