Stop neck sizing your brass!!!

I use both full length and neck sizing depending on the particular chamber/load/use. While I FL size for the majority of my loads, I do have high accuracy loads that are neck sized with an understanding of the brass dimensions /effect with each firing. For those who are casual reloaders, or new to reloading(and particularly the guy in the video), FL sizing may be the better choice. I would expect this debate will continue for some time to come.

So you're saying that the guy in the video is new to reloading? Lol

I use both full length and neck sizing depending on the particular chamber/load/use. While I FL size for the majority of my loads, I do have high accuracy loads that are neck sized with an understanding of the brass dimensions /effect with each firing. For those who are casual reloaders, or new to reloading(and particularly the guy in the video), FL sizing may be the better choice. I would expect this debate will continue for some time to come.

Erik Cortina, the guy in the video is nowhere near a newbie in reloading.

I haven't had a reason to neck size only.
You wouldn't if you didn't want the most energy available pushing your bullet out of the tube. In a neck sized only case more of the energy is used to push the bullet out of the barrel resulting in faster speeds, with a full length resized case, energy is lost expanding the case out against the chamber walls taking away some of the energy that could be used to push the bullet down the barrel, full length resizing also in my opinion causes the case to fatigue earlier due to actually bending it in and out of a different shape. A fire formed case is supported by the chamber walls and that results in more energy behind the projectile. 1000 yard bench rest shooters have done it this way for years, and that is where I was taught this method back in the 70s & 80s they were the record setters with this method. I have very good accurate rounds with this method and as the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Everybody has their favorite ways of doing things and you will always have someone saying that " this new way is a better way" and the new way usually is money in some ones pocket, and it won't be yours. I do full length resize my deer hunting rifles because the rounds are used in different family members rifles. Neck resizing only here may very well result in rounds not chambering properly. The magnums loads are one gun specific loads worked up to near maximum loads for that one gun only, those are the only conditions that I will neck size only for, its all about accuracy at longer ranges.

The cartridge should fit the chamber like a rat turd in a violin case.

Click on the image below to enlarge...................and see the light.

Y3IiYL5.jpg

And at the Whidden custom die website they tell you they get the most concentric cases from non-bushing full length dies.

So you're saying that the guy in the video is new to reloading? Lol
I couldn't hear any sound, don't know what he said or who he was saying it to, perhaps it was intended for reloaders that are just starting out, don't know, couldn't hear NO SOUND.

Never replace reasoning with a call to authority fallacy..
All necks are sized, either FL sized or partially sized.
Some cartridges and some chambers lead to a requirement to size bodies, shoulders and/or deeper body, a great deal or very little.
Other cartridges and chambers and PLANS lead to little or no need to size bodies, leaving only shoulder bumping, or maybe none of that.

As with anything you should plan, and of course it helps to understand what you're doing or want to do. With this, You can choose your sizing plan and implement it regardless of what anybody else chooses. You'll be just fine.
If you have no plan, and no understanding, then it really doesn't matter where you put yourself, or what you think about where you put yourself.
Not to me anyway..

I couldn't hear any sound, don't know what he said or who he was saying it to, perhaps it was intended for reloaders that are just starting out, don't know, couldn't hear NO SOUND.

Buck, when you click on the vid to play it, look in the lower left corner of the frame. there is a small speaker icon in the frame. If the frame has a diagonal line thru it, it means the sound is muted. Click the speaker to "unmute".

I think most of the experienced handloaders have experimented with all the ways to size brass, I know I have. AND we have settled into what works best for each of our rifles.

One method that wasn't mentioned yet could be used for neck sizing only or any combination of FL/partial FL sizing when using a bushing die. Use a bushing slightly smaller than the finalized neck dimension desired. Use a sizer ball for that finalized neck dimension. This would work well with brass with minor varying neck wall thicknesses. It would help reduce the working of the necks far less than a standard FL sizer die.

I can't remember where I first read of this. The author was talking about sizing hundreds of 223 ammo and wanted to minimize any working of the brass and get as consistent as possible neck tension.

For what it is worth ...

That was what I needed to do Thanks FEENIX: I have to be 100 percent honest with you I don't really know how far the guys were shooting that he was talking to but, what he said makes sense on the most part. But I have not had any of the problems he talked about. My bolt works a little stiff when I'm getting near max. loads but never had to use excessive force to open it. That sounds like an excessive pressure problem when it gets that hard? Don't remember the guys at the 1000 yard range having that problem either, I have seen hard to open bolts when the brass was about shot or actually in the process of starting to split. I will have to get back up to the 1000 range sometime and catch up on the latest things that they are doing, and see the new rifles and calibers in action I would like to see the 38-378s and the 300 Norma magnums in action if anyone has them. Maybe I have not shot my guns enough to see that problem opening the bolt, or maybe the brass is better that I use ? Norma brass. Thanks again Feenix I have been having that problem with the video. I needed a fifth grader and didn't have one available. We need another earth shaking video soon to get us into spring. Good luck hunting and shooting in 2018.