Stock with adjustable cheek riser

I've like having my cheek weld on my rifle and shotguns the same. When I put my cheek solidly to the comb I want to immediately see the bead or the crosshairs without any repositioning of my head. A rifle I bought this year came with a Monte Carlo stock and once I mounted a scoped on it, it was to low for me. I made my first comb riser out of two 1/2" thick pieces of foam pipe insulation and black vet tape, the combination worked pretty good and gave me a good indication of the height I needed, so after a couple months I replaced that with the Beartooth comb riser. If I had it to do over I'd buy just the neoprene cover without the foam. I initially used the supplied foam inserts but as others have stated the supplied ones move and slip around between the stock and cover. Being flat on both sides they didn't fit the curvature of the comb very well. So I found a thick piece of dense foam and rounded out the bottom to conform it to the comb before rounding the top and tapering the sides. Now it doesn't move at all and it blends better into the stock. I cut it to length so I can keep it in place while easily removing the bolt for cleaning with a rod and bore guide. I've used this gun this whole season and now fits me very well. Also the neoprene riser is easy to remove so in the future someone can return the gun back stock.

IMG_8045.jpegIMG_8046.jpeg

I recently purchased a Bradley cheek riser. I was impressed with the quality, however I had a few issues. First, there is a disclaimer only listed inside the package that leaving the riser on the rifle too long after it gets wet could cause the padding it rests on to adhere to your stock. My gun is a hunting rifle, and will get wet. I do not want to be bothered with removing the riser if it gets wet. Second, and probably more importantly the riser does lift my face as intended, but it also pushes my face away from the gun because it's a bit wide. I didn't change the stock because I had a good stock made by Grayboe, owned by Navy Seal veteran, Ryan McMillan. If that name rings a bell then yes, he's the grandson of McMillan from McMillan stocks. Check out Grayboe's Hunter stocks with risers. I have two, and both are fantastic. If you're a veteran they give 20% off.

Attachments

• IMG_6300.jpeg
    IMG_6300.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for all the replies. This site has been been a great resource for years.
I have pretty much decided to go with the loggerhead ACP hardware. I talked to the guy that installs them on the phone today. He installs the adjustable cheek on multiple rifle stocks at a reasonable price. And his install doesn't add width to the stock.

Thanks for all the replies. This site has been been a great resource for years.
I have pretty much decided to go with the loggerhead ACP hardware. I talked to the guy that installs them on the phone today. He installs the adjustable cheek on multiple rifle stocks at a reasonable price. And his install doesn't add width to the stock.
Would mind sharing his info or sending me a private message. I would really like to see what he can do with mine.

I am glad you were able to find the right solution for your particular rifle.

Just a observation on the Bradley strap-on that nobody has yet mentioned: yes, they are slightly wider than the comb of your rifle. But the Bradley cheekpiece is made of kydex - and as such is somewhat flexible. There are four holes on each side for height adjustment. Let's say the third hole down from the top is the height you want for your cheek weld. If you set the offside of your Bradley to the second hole down it pulls the 'center' to the offside, creating some offset in the comb - which will allow your eye to move closer to the center of the scope than your original comb underneath the Bradley. With the above-described adjustment, mine works like a charm.

Last edited:
I have a howa 1500 stainless 7mm mag. It's custom the only thing factory is the receiver and bolt. And the receiver has been blue printed.
What I have been looking for is a hunting stock with an adj cheek rest. Really don't want a stock that looks like it's better suited for bench rest.
Haven't been able to find one. Or someone who could install an adjustable in a stock.
Bradley cheek rest, work great

Not adjustable, but I've got a McMillan game warden 2.0 that's pretty dang nice. It's got a raised comb that works great with my 50mm objective scope. Just have to make sure you've got the proper rings to line up with the comb.

But....I got an MDT LSS XL chassis this year and I'm having a hard time going back to more traditional hunting stocks. It's a little heavy (11 lbs scoped but not loaded with a 26" barrel) but I have been carrying it hunting and it's fine. Even went on a huge backpack hunt with it. It felt a little out of place out in the woods at first! I can also drop multiple scoped and barreled Tikka actions in there, make a quick adjustment to the cheek weld and it's ready to go. I've also shot an MDT Oryx which is pretty affordable, really adjustable and doesn't look quite as crazy. Just got an XLR magnesium chassis for a lighter build, we'll see how that one works. Looks and feels great.

Took me a while to get over the 'space rifle' look, but shooting with a chassis is just so much better. You can dial it into exactly what you need. New scope/rings? No need for a new stock. New fatter barrel? No need for a new stock. Accessories like bipod mounts, arca rails, etc are just bolt on and go. Don't like em? Take em off and sell em and find the ones you do like. I love the modularity - it's all about utility.

I had to drill into my McMillan and set a flush cup for my particular bipod.....turned out great but that was nerve wracking and I'm kind of stuck with that bipod forever with that stock now. Maybe none of this is helpful if you're totally set against the chassis look, just throwing it out there.

I am glad you were able to find the right solution for your particular rifle.

Just an observation on the Bradley strap-on that nobody has yet mentioned: yes, they are slightly wider than the comb of your rifle. But the Bradley cheekpiece is made of kydex - and as such is somewhat flexible. There are four holes on each side for height adjustment. Let's say the third hole down from the top is the height you want for your cheek weld. If you set the offside of your Bradley to the second hole down it pulls the 'center' to the offside, creating some offset in the comb - which will allow your eye to move closer to the center of the scope than your original comb underneath the Bradley. With the above-described adjustment, mine works like a charm.
Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try! Any issues with the rest sticking after getting wet?

I live in Arizona, so we don't get as much wet weather as those back east. I can't recall ever having been on a hunt with my rifle that wears the Bradley when it was raining or snowing. Other members will have a better angle on that issue.

View attachment 517870View attachment 517871View attachment 517872View attachment 517873Here's an option

Your next option is to build up the comb with a lightweight wood filler epoxy, sand to desired height and shape and repaint.
I have put a Beartooth on two rifles and find it a very good solution. It does not push my face to the side. Mine are black. The elastic sleeve fits so tightly that I found it easiest to install by removing the stock from the action (two bolts), sliding the sleeve on from the front, then reattaching the stock to the action. Also, mine don't interfere with a cleaning rod.

Last edited: