Stock with adjustable cheek riser

Dead set on it being a composite stock? Can buy at least one wood stock, in many different shapes, with an adjustable check piece. I have one of them on a 788.

Seems like unless you want to shoot a 700 footprint that Manners isn't interested in making the stock. Fine if that's all they want to do, I'll just cross them off my considerables list.

Triad Tactical has great add on cheek risers and bullet holders. I have them on all my bolt action rifles. I use the model that has the ammo holder on the inside. It will also fit dope cards.

Attachments

• IMG_1023__70970.jpg
    IMG_1023__70970.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0363__10535.jpg
    IMG_0363__10535.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 29
I've been through this dilemma with several rifles. It all started when I went to 30mm tubes and large objective lenses, so if you really don't need an objective over 42mm or the 30 mm tube, save yourself a lot of grief and use the 1" scopes with lower rings.
That said, I tried all kinds of cheek risers, Bradley, Titan, Beartooth, home made, the strap on types. The most comfortable and best one I got was the Accu-riser. Most of the others caused left-right misalignment, usually ending with me having to push my face into the stock, resulting in some erratic groups at long range.
Another thing you may want to take a look at is your body position behind the rifle. I have been shooting for somewhere above 60 years and was always a "pretty good" shot. The rifle was generally close to parallel with my shoulders. I found that I was putting pressure on the stock to get my eye aligned, which caused a slight shift right as the trigger tripped. I found that putting the rifle more perpendicular to my shoulders and putting the butt in the pocket between the shoulder and the pectoral allowed me to just lower my head to the stock and my eye was aligned left-right without putting pressure on the stock.

The beartooth riser works but I agree it's a pita for cleaning and install. Also if you don't tape the risers to the stock before you install the neoprene they can and will slip so you find yourself pushing them back into place ever so often. I think finding the right scope stock combo is a higher priority for me now. The kydex options I think are better but drilling a stock is never fun. Ring height, scope tube, and comb height decisions should be of the utmost concern, not to be taken lightly. Another reason I love my adjustable chassis.

I have a howa 1500 stainless 7mm mag. It's custom the only thing factory is the receiver and bolt. And the receiver has been blue printed.
What I have been looking for is a hunting stock with an adj cheek rest. Really don't want a stock that looks like it's better suited for bench rest.
Haven't been able to find one. Or someone who could install an adjustable in a stock.
Look at MDT...great option made to fit Howa/Vanguard....and they fit flawlessly! Second choice and under 50.00.…Amazon...for Bolt thru cheek risers

Last edited:
Just got a Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel and got a Boyd's At-One thumbhole stock. Push button cheek riser and LOP adjustments. Had the pillar bedding option added too. Waiting on a rail but the gun really points well.

I find the Boyd's At 1s " chunky" and heavy..not really a kids stock but they do provide adj.lop and cheek riser... however like all woods...they Mark and Mar easily. ....just me!

I find the Boyd's At 1s " chunky" and heavy..not really a kids stock but they do provide adj.lop and cheek riser... however like all woods...they Mark and Mar easily. ....just me!
The thumbhole is not as "chunky" in the grip as the regular at-one. Also the regular at-ones have available slimmer grip inserts. This is my 20 inch barrel Howa mini action in the at-one thumbhole. I have smaller than average man hands and the grip is if anything a bit too skinny for my tastes. Offhand shooting and on a bench or deer blind windowsill I really prefer the thumbhole style.

Attachments

• 20231205_111616[1].jpg
    20231205_111616[1].jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 41
This is a better picture, next to my Tikka T3 Lite. The At-One thumbhole's grip is much thinner than the Tikka's. The Howa has the thick profile barrel and the gun weighs just under 7 lbs without rail and scope.

Attachments

• 20231205_113009[1].jpg
    20231205_113009[1].jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 45
Triad Tactical has great add on cheek risers and bullet holders. I have them on all my bolt action rifles. I use the model that has the ammo holder on the inside. It will also fit dope cards.

I have several of this type. They are very comfortable and adaptable to shooter and rifle. Do a search for "rifle stock pack" online and you'll find a bunch of them.

I think way too much emphasis is put on little bitty 3 shot groups at 100 yds off benches and if shooters would shoot their rifles in field positions they would recognise stock fit might be more important than just little bitty groups. I think proper cheek height is paramount to accurate shooting in field positions. almost everybody has a large scope mounted way too high so their head is not comfortably held up by the stock. In highpower this is called a cheek weld and the pressure placed on the stock by the head needs to be comfortable and consistant. I am what highpower shooters call a stock crawler in that when I shoot prone my eye becomes too close to the scope so I have to make my own scope mounts that put the scope farther from the face than normal mounts but with my mounts the scope is farther away from my eye than I would like when standing or sitting. this makes stocks which have length of pull and cheek height adjustments what I prefer. I rebarreled one of my ruger precision rifles in 30-284 this last year even though it is heavier than I like to carry the adjustability of the stock allows more accurate shooting in field positions. I believe more shooters would recognise this if they got off the bench. has anybody ever been to a military range and seen benches? thats because there are no benches in the field unless you are very tough to pack one there. I haven't shot off a bench in 20 years since I learned to use and get comfortable with a sling and due to me using the sling and not a bench my ability to shoot accurately improved. there are some very functional cheek adjusters on ebay called kydex and they are easy to install and use. I place them on the stock as far forward as possible and still get the bolt out of the rifle so you don't have to readjust each time you clean the rifle. I've put 4 or 5 of these on my rifles and would not be without them