Stock & trigger issues

freebird63

I have a 300RUM Sendero, I love the gun and have loved them ever since remington introduced them. I finally bought one and have been working on a load, have spent many hours reading material and shooting and reloading. But last night out in the desert just before a massive thunder storm ran me off I came to the conclusion that A. I hate the trigger on it-why, because its set at 3lbs and to me its too much and my finger just does not set on the trigger well, compared to other guns I have owned. B. excuse me for not knowing the exact name for the part of the stock right behind the trigger, I will call it the pistol grip part, its quite large and I feel that is the reason I can't get a good feel/trigger pull. I really like those thumbhole stocks, but man are they expensive. I am at a loss about what to do here. Does anyone have any ideas or opinions here???
Chuck

Last edited:
Look in the FAQ section if this forum and there is a list of stock manufacturers.
By all means not all of them. You should be able to find something to your liking there. Also check out Stocky's and Joel Russo. They are a sponsor here. I have bought several stocks from them. Good luck shopping.

Sounds like you have one of the Sendero's with palm swells. Some like the palm swells and the rest of us hate them. The cheapest and probably the easiest fix would be to find and older Sendero take off stock without the palm swells. You could even get lucky enough to find someone that would trade you straight across for yours.

The trigger is also a pretty easy fix. Any qualified gunsmith, there are many here on this forum, could tune your trigger to a more acceptable level for not alot of money.

Could a person take a dremel to the area that is swelled and sand it down some?? My only problem with doing that is once its done, its done. Then after you get it to where you like it do you have to put anything on it to seal it?? or just use some very light grit sand paper and smooth it out??
Its hard to shop for stocks on line cause you just don't know how they feel and I would hate to spend the money on one that looked good but when I got here it ended up no better then the other one. On Monday I am going to talk to my gunsmith about it and get his opinion.

I'm not positive but I think that part of your stock is hollow not solid. I don't think you could or would want to sand the palm swell down. If you're going to be talking to a gunsmith ask him.

The Sendero stock without the palm swells is pretty much exactly like the one you have but with a more conventional, slimmer, pistol grip.

If you like your current stock except for the swells in the grip you will really like the same stock but without the palm swells. I'm not a big fan of the palm swells either. I guess if you had really large hands they would be fine but I don't and I never really felt like I had a good grip on the rifle. If a short action Sendero take off stock without the swells was what you were looking for I could hook you up cause I have one of those 4sale but you need one for a long action.

hmmmmm I have an orginal sendero 1 model in a 300 rum, wonder if that stock has the swells and if it doesnt wonder what the swells feel like ????????????????????????????

A lot of people with smaller hands and some with big hands do not get along with the palm swell on the new Sendero at all. I have a Remington 700VS that came with the smaller grip which I really liked but one of the guys I shoot with absolutely could not shoot his 700 with the palm swell due to not being able to reach the trigger correctly and so we traded. Didn't make me any difference either way as I have others that also are the palm swell model so might as well have them all that way. He now loves the rifle and shoots it very well and now likes the trigger pull which he didn't before. He didn't have anything done to the trigger either.
If you watch the add's on here you will find one of the older Sendero stocks every now and then. Buy it and then sell yours. It will solve a lot of problems for you.

I have fairly large hands and the palm swell still does not work for me. I have been looking at other stocks and see that some of them state they have a palm swell. The problem with looking at stocks on the internet is you don't have them in your hands to hold and see how it feels. I know the stock on my wifes Remington model 700 BDL 300 SAUM with the regular synthetic stock feels great in my hands., but then it does not feel as solid as the sendero stock. Am going to go see my gunsmith on Monday and maybe he will have some stocks around his shop I can check out or have some ideas.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts