HS precision bottom metal and timney trigger fitting issues

Vol1975

Putting a HS precision bottom metal over a timney trigger and its looking like the bottom metal will not fit over the timney trigger without some file work on the bottom metal. The timney trigger is approximately .150 wider than the original Remington trigger. This is all Remington replacement parts.
My question is has anybody ran into this. Going to call the two companies to ask questions but wanted to know if anybody has ran into this problem.
Any thought on this?

Last edited:
The wide shoe timney has issues fitting with some bottom metal. I had to relief factory bdl bottom metal to make one fit.
I am not sure I like the wide trigger shoe, I feel more consistent with a narrow serrated shoe like the original triggertech.

Thanks for the reply's. At the end of the day I'm probably gonna have to do some Dremel work on the HS bottom metal to get the thing to fit over the timney trigger.
Either that or do a different bottom metal but I really like the HS precision.

Thanks for the reply's. At the end of the day I'm probably gonna have to do some Dremel work on the HS bottom metal to get the thing to fit over the timney trigger.
Either that or do a different bottom metal but I really like the HS precision.

Malli, a small file is much safer on that pricey metal. Perhaps a dab of closely matched paint on the filed area from a cotton swab.

I just encountered this about two months ago....you've got the right idea as far as a fix goes. I can send some photos to show what it took to get mine to fit.

I just encountered this about two months ago....you've got the right idea as far as a fix goes. I can send some photos to show what it took to get mine to fit.
Are you just widening the trigger guard slot that the trigger comes down through? I'm having a bolt release sticking issue...

I am going to toss my 2 cents into this pile... the first thing is I would never use a Timney trigger for a Remington when Shilen, Jewell, and Trigger Basix are on the open market. The best would be Jard trigger kit for the Rem 700. I have used all of the above and seen them run circles around Timney. Also no fitment issues with any of the triggers or trigger kit other than Timney. Quite frankly I think Timney is over priced crap. I have been told their quality has gone up in recent years. I do not know, I will not use Timney as long as there is another trigger on the market that competes with them for the same application. Brownell's carries Timiney, Trigger Basix, and Jard. I pick Trigger Basix and Jard every time unless Timney is the only one that covers the application I need. okay that is my personal 2 cents worth. later suckers.. This gunsmith needs to get back to helping customers and getting things done.

Oh, if the trigger shoe is too wide.. the bottom metal can be jigged up in a mill vice and a carbide 4 flute 0.250" can be used to take off the metal you need to make the trigger shoe fit through the opening. just go slow and check with a pair of dial calipers to keep the cuts uniform on each side.
Later Taters!

Oh, if the trigger shoe is too wide.. the bottom metal can be jigged up in a mill vice and a carbide 4 flute 0.250" can be used to take off the metal you need to make the trigger shoe fit through the opening. just go slow and check with a pair of dial calipers to keep the cuts uniform on each side.
Later Taters!
Thanks,took amoment and added up ur 2 cents,figure it came to around a nickel total...:p funning liked ur input..

if you do not want to lightly file some relief in the HS precision housing check out a Timney 510 thin < the thin has a narrower trigger shoe. I've gone with both options in the past.... 6 of 1 half dozen of the other

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts