sticky bolt???

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mcharger440, Jan 13, 2014.

1. mcharger440

mcharger440 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever heard of a half sticky bolt my rem 700 has a ptg bolt and the first half of opening after foreign is very smooth however it hits half way and gets very sticky with mild loads not just mild loads but mild loads in the hornady book...it has a sako extractor and I broke the extractor once I am neck sizing so the bolt is snug on closing but not out of line thanks

2. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

Possibly a bolt handle timing issue. If the handle is not timed properly, you lose your primary extraction camming. Who fit the bolt?

3. mcharger440

Cutting edge arms in OK a pretty reputable shop BTW. . . I left out one minor detail its a one piece bolt

4. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

Depending on how much they took off of the back of the bolt's lugs, it could cause primary extraction problems. Check the gap between the bolt handle and the action with a feeler gauge.

5. mcharger440

I'll check that tonight

6. mcharger440

So I couldn't find a feeler gauge but I could get a sheet of paper all the way down. I couldnt however get two, with no round in the rifle I can definantly feel two distinct stages when opening the bolt

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Remove the bolt. Remove the firing pin assembly from the bolt. ( if not familiar with doing this look on you tube)

Once the firing pin assembly is removed install the bolt in the rifle and see if it is gone. If it is still get a short cleaning rod (pistol or old 22 rod) and go into the lug area with a nylon brush (large caliber) and clean very well. I have even used the rod in a cordless drill. Only go in as deep as the locking lugs. I think there could be a tiny piece of brass or debre in there.

Jeff

8. mcharger440

I reused the j-lock shroud could that be the culprit

9. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I don't know. But pulling the firing pin assembly from the bolt, then retesting the bolt in the rifle, will tell us if it is a bolt or lug issue or if it is a firing pin assembly issue.

Jeff

10. mcharger440

OK it is somthing in the firing pin/shroud I removed it and bolt was smooth as silk

11. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Cool, good old process of elimination.:) Now you need the tool and take that bugger apart and see what up.

Jeff