6.5x284 sticky bolt

Gray R

Hey guys I'm relatively new to this so bare with me if my question is dumb. I ran a max load I think it was 51.5 grains of rl-17 with winchester mag primer and 130 accubonds the bolt was real heavy to lift but the group was down around the .2s or .3s. My question is how do I maintain accuracy while backing down the load?
Thanks in advance for anything

Wondering...the way you wrote this sounds like you just ran the max load. Did you work up with lesser powder charges or not? You will have to settle for a lesser powder charge. If it isn't accurate you can tweak the seating depth or in some cases neck tension can help too.

I have a question. Do you know your chamber dimensions? The reason I ask is that many 6.5-284s have tight necks. There is a possibility that your loads have insufficient clearance for proper neck release.

A few months ago I helped someone with their 6.5-284 rifle. They were using Norma brass. The upper loads were erratic in velocity and group size. For grins I pushed a bullet into a fired round's neck and it wouldn't slip in! If they had used Lapua brass which are thicker I'd bet there would have been a very sticky bolt.

The owner consulted his reamer dimension and compared it to the loaded round dimensions to discover the neck release was .001" per side! Only a few loaded rounds had their neck ODs measured. There might have been a few rounds with even less release! Brass neck wall thickness does vary some and any larger than the ones we measured would raise velocities and throw the bullet out of the group. Once the necks were turned for a .0025" clearance per side the rifle became more consistent.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Report back on your findings please.

Exellent points.

Also, is this once fired or multi fired brass? FL sized, neck only, body sized, shoulder bumped?

I have to shoulder bump all my multi fired brass now. If not, I get a sticky bolt as the head space is not correct without it. I tend to run a little on the hot side of things as well.

Hey Gary, Put less powder in .Sticky bolt problem will go away.Accuracy is only cool if you can live through it.And your brass will last a lot longer.

Oh I just re-read your post. Mag primer with max load will give you too much pressure. You almost always have to run about 1 grain less powder with mag primers.

One reloading book's max load is not the same in another. As an example, Berger's reloading book seems slow compared to others. Some rifles can handle max and beyond. So many variables.

I still wonder if OP worked up to that load?

The max with the 130 berger I did was 52 grains rl-17 no pressures signs so I backed off a grain when I changed the bullet and primer so I'll be backing down a bit further haha. Thanks guys

Oh yeah and you change bullets too boot. In my experience the bearing surface of a bullet change needs to be considered. For example if a bullet has a longer bearing surface you will have more resistance and therefore a but more pressure is required to push it down the tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.