Sticky Bolt with Accurate Load

General RE LEE

6.5 Creedmoor
IMR 4451 42.0 grains
143 grain ELD-X
.3 MOA accuracy
Stiff bolt lift and light ejector Mark Tikka T3x
.015 off lands

Should I drop down .3 grains to 41.7 grains?

General RE LEE

One group

Attachments

• 7DEE8A8F-6F83-4E58-95AB-F62AB7ECA8C2.jpeg
    7DEE8A8F-6F83-4E58-95AB-F62AB7ECA8C2.jpeg
    951 KB · Views: 34

General RE LEE

yes , back it off . a rough quickload guess is showing you're at 76021 PSI . it's rated at 63091 PSI .

again just a rough guess , it looks like max is about 39.5 @ 63017PSI
Thank you. IMR 4451 load data shows 41.9 as max load. 39.5 seems like a low charge. How does it arrive at that number.

Old rooster

My Hornady reloading manual shows IMR4451 start load 36.6-41.3 max,143 ELD-X
If you need more velocity Superformance powder start load 38.2 gr-44.7 max-velocity 2800 fps.
I know its hard to find any powder now but for the future IMR4350 can get you 42.0 max=2750 fps.
But work up to loads.
Old Rooster

Old rooster

Only in 1 rifle did try a max load in my 308,I did it as a test and not my regular load.
I worked up to that max slowly and did not have a hard bolt lift or ejector marks at max load of Varget.
Tempts can change that so be careful.
Old Rooster

jimbires

Thank you. IMR 4451 load data shows 41.9 as max load. 39.5 seems like a low charge. How does it arrive at that number.
that's what it shows by using all default settings . looks like the book is a little on the hot side , for your rifle and powder lot . I'd need more info to be able to taylor it to your specific combo .I'd back off at least one full grain . this is a perfect example why reloaders always start low and work up while watching for pressure signs . every once in awhile we get a curveball .

with components being hard to get , we are using what we have , or can get . are you using a magnum primer in this load ? a mag primer could cause higher pressure , I'm not sure this much though .

General RE LEE

that's what it shows by using all default settings . looks like the book is a little on the hot side , for your rifle and powder lot . I'd need more info to be able to taylor it to your specific combo .I'd back off at least one full grain . this is a perfect example why reloaders always start low and work up while watching for pressure signs . every once in awhile we get a curveball .

with components being hard to get , we are using what we have , or can get . are you using a magnum primer in this load ? a mag primer could cause higher pressure , I'm not sure this much though .

Thank you I’m using Federal 210 large rifle. I worked my way up to this point and the accuracy and velocity is very nice. I will drop down to 41.5 grains

ShtrRdy

Can you measure velocity on that accurate load just to get an idea of how fast it's going? Just 2 or 3 rounds.

david g ranes

6.5 Creedmoor
IMR 4451 42.0 grains
143 grain ELD-X
.3 MOA accuracy
Stiff bolt lift and light ejector Mark Tikka T3x
.015 off lands

Should I drop down .3 grains to 41.7 grains?
I’m kind of getting the same thing on a tikka 22 creedmoor bolt seems a little stiff but no other signs but the bolt lifts a little hard on a empty chamber after de- cocked might just be the nature of the beast. David

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.