Sticking brass

How do the primer pockets feel? I have a custom die for my prc. Brass base expanded too much and won't undersized enough with a standard die. This is with adg and lapau brass. Hornady is fine and all are similar in weight. All I needed my brass to to do is size another .001 roughly. The custom die manages that and the brass is usable again so a small base die may work for you, fingers crossed.

I have Peterson brass for my creed and haven't had any issue's. I would definitely measure the base and compare expansion to other cases.
Some of the pockets are not as tight as new, nothing that seems unusual to me. Kind of nice with the arthritis in my hands

Most likely was a pressure problem. You guys think the brass is ruined? primmer pockets still nice and tight. and it makes such straight bullets. Never had this before but never had peterson brass either. Im use to necks and shoulders splitting. Not trashing peterson by any means and would buy more if available. would stay under 40 gr this time
What's a "straight bullet"?

Roughly a grain over book max and you re 140-150 fps faster….. I think you got lots of pressure. Might be chamber spec, less capacity brass, etc but regardless there's pressure! ( too much IMO) 2840 ish is not far from a factory loaded 270 Win velocity which has another 15 grs or so of case capacity!

Not sure where you got your load data for a 140 ELD-M, but max load for that bullet in the Hornady manual is 41.5 grn of H-4350 using Hornady brass, so as previously stated, you are over max. I have used a lot of Peterson brass and have had no problems. Recommend you go back to a starting load of 35.6 grn of H-4350 and load at COAL of 2.800". This data is per the Hornady manual. Hopefully there is no issue with your chamber? Also, you might try shooting some commercially manufactured ammunition and see if that gives you any problem.

He said he full lenght sizes after and it's fine.
Not sure what fine means without measurement. Fine in that it will load in the chamber or fine in that it correctly undersizes the brass? These 2 things are not related. Brass base need .002 roughly to expand. If he has .001 it's not enough. It'll fit the chamber without issue but it will build pressure too soon and stick

What action is this on? Seems to me you have primary extraction issues. I'd be willing to bet that your cam surfaces don't touch and your bolt timing is off. Yeah you are running a little hot but not hot enough to unload a bolt action like you load a flintlock lol.

Roughly a grain over book max and you re 140-150 fps faster….. I think you got lots of pressure. Might be chamber spec, less capacity brass, etc but regardless there's pressure! ( too much IMO) 2840 ish is not far from a factory loaded 270 Win velocity which has another 15 grs or so of case capacity!
IMO once your velocity is significantly over book, you are likely wading in the waters of excess pressure. Very often custom barrels show book top velocities with loads significantly below the published max.

He said he full lenght sizes after and it's fine.
full length is fine, it chambers fine. Hope you can see the photo well enough. I chambered this dummy round 10 times
after firing it will stick hard just above the scuff marks.
use to do this with candle smoke before sharpies

Attachments

• DSCF3900 (800x450).jpg
    DSCF3900 (800x450).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 104
IMO once your velocity is significantly over book, you are likely wading in the waters of excess pressure. Very often custom barrels show book top velocities with loads significantly below the published max.
That's a good point
No doubt this chamber is smaller than my buddies savage. I did set the head space with forster go no go and checked several times, this is barrel #8 on this gun, 4 rejects and 4 good ones

What action is this on? Seems to me you have primary extraction issues. I'd be willing to bet that your cam surfaces don't touch and your bolt timing is off. Yeah you are running a little hot but not hot enough to unload a bolt action like you load a flintlock lol.
Its a savage mod12, with 10000 or so rounds
Please elaborate on the timing subject. maybe a link
I like the flintlock part
Kind of embarrassing at talladega cmp

Also look into a chamber polish. Sometimes a thousandth will make all difference in world.

Friend bought a $4K Fierce Titanium in 28 Nosler. Had to send back and they polished chamber; problem solved. Sometimes guys just run the reamers too long or cut too fast and get machine marks/roughness. Those machine marks will stick cases like glue!!

Peterson brass is smaller in volume that other cases like Win. You talk about mushroomed primers. Or is it really creator. Being a problem in get the case removed from the chamber. It seem to me you are overpressure. Send us a pictures of the base with a fired primer still in the case. I didn't note anything about a heavy bolt lift.

Recent Posts