steel base and aluminum rings?

Boman

Is this a bad idea? I've heard this is a bad setup. I have a steel base and was planning on using TPS steel rings. But I came across some Seekins rings. So I was wondering if going with aluminum rings will work? What is your experience? Thanks

Since it is a souped up .308 I would think that your mounts and rings will be just fine. The Warbird kind of limits you to maybe 1,000 yds. for hunting. If you were shooting a big caliber like the .338 Titan I would go with all steel. The Warbird is a plinker compared to the Titan. IMHO. :rolleyes:

joseph

PS: Lets see some target groups you shoot with it at long range. I'm wondering if yours will out shoot my 1,500$ rifle.

You're kidding right? I guess you could call the warbird a souped up .308. Some would say really souped up. As in 3650 fps shooting a 168gr bullet. Now I do agree the Titan is a beast as is all big 338s. I consider them to be in different categories though. Also my rifle was much less than yours. I'm no rich snob. Just always wanted a warbird and finally was able to buy one. Now I'm trying to get it setup right the first time.

I stand corrected. I did not look up the ballistics and didn't know that the Warbird gained about 700 fps over a stock .308. I also thought you had a Lazzeroni rifle. They don't come cheep.

Anyway I am sure it will shoot pretty good. Let us know how it works out for you. Longrange shooting is a hoot. I used to bench rest shoot at 100 & 200 yards. until I shot a 1.75" group at 400 yds. the first time I shot that far at paper. Now I shoot out to 1K plus. Lots of fun. :D

joseph

Since it is a souped up .308 I would think that your mounts and rings will be just fine. The Warbird kind of limits you to maybe 1,000 yds. for hunting. If you were shooting a big caliber like the .338 Titan I would go with all steel. The Warbird is a plinker compared to the Titan. IMHO. :rolleyes:

joseph

PS: Lets see some target groups you shoot with it at long range. I'm wondering if yours will out shoot my 1,500$ rifle.
I don't think you're very familiar with the 7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird caliber.....It is not a souped up .308 Win...

I'm pretty sure that at over 3½" long (7.82 Warbird) vs 2.810" (.308 Win), the Warbird is not simply a "souped up .308".... It is most comparable to a .300 RUM or .300 AllenMag, than anything else. That kinda puts it into a whole different category, like long-action magnum calibers (7.82 Warbird) vs short-action standard calibers (.308).

I don't own an Lazzeroni calibers, but I would like to have a 7.82 Warbird someday.

I think you might be confusing the 7.82 Warbird, with the 7.82 Patriot, which is basically a .300 WSM.

Personally, I've never tried it. I have heard all the old stories about steel and aluminum having different expansion rates for when the temp drops or heats up, different torque specs, and blah blah blah, but I don't think it would really be that big of a deal, honestly.

I usually stick with steel/steel or aluminum/aluminum, but that's also just because I'm really OCD.

Personally, I've never tried it. I have heard all the old stories about steel and aluminum having different expansion rates for when the temp drops or heats up, different torque specs, and blah blah blah, but I don't think it would really be that big of a deal, honestly.

Its no big deal in temps that any human being is going to be in. The coefficient of expansion is most certainly different but at a base temp of approx 100deg F...no biggie

Is this a bad idea? I've heard this is a bad setup. I have a steel base and was planning on using TPS steel rings. But I came across some Seekins rings. So I was wondering if going with aluminum rings will work? What is your experience? Thanks

I see answers here being kicked around about cartridge size but nobody has mentioned electrolysis. Over a period of time your aluminum will produce a powder as it is eaten away and then when you shoot your high powered rounds your scope will be moving around and you won't be hitting your mark anymore.

If you can isolate the two metals with thin silicone then cool but if not I wouldn't try it for the long term.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.