Steel Rings with Aluminum Base?

Nimrodmar10

I've got a Savage 111 in 6.5-284 Norma. When I first purchased it I bought a Talley aluminum one piece 20 MOA base for it. I put an unexpensive pair of Blackhawk aluminum rings on it temporarily until I could buy a good set of steel rings. I normally buy Nightforce bases and rings but this rig will have a 1 inch scope and unfortunately Nightforce doesn't make 1 inch rings. So, I bought a set of Mark 4 Leupold rings for it. While looking at the new rings I read the instructions that came with them. It said that they did not advise using steel rings with an aluminum base. Why would they make that recommendation? Do I need to wait and get a steel base for the rifle before mounting the Mark 4 rings? Anyone had a problem with mixing the two metals?

Never put steel rings on aluminum bases. The thermal coefficient of expansion of aluminum is much greater than for steel. The base will expand when they get warm and at least stretch if not break the bolt holding the steel rings and then get loose when they get cold. Yeah I learned this the hard way.

Steel rings work fine on my aluminum bases. Never had a problem with the aluminum base expanding or contracting affecting the ring torque or anything like that.

Don't guess I can argue with a person called Engineering 101. ;-)

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that. I was thinking more along the lines of the steel rings cutting into the aluminium and causing movement in the mounting system. Guess I'll go see if Nightforce makes a base for a Savage 111.

Next question: Does the Nightforce A165 base fit the round Savage or the flat receiver? My 111 has the round rear receiver. The description just says it's for the new style Savages.

Not directed at anyone other than the op...................You can argue with anyone. If I call myself God is my word gospel? Some of the "smart" people I know are the dumbest idiots that ever walked the earth.

Warne makes steel one piece picatinny style bases. You can find them at eabco.com for less than $100. Warne also makes very good steel vertically split Maxima Rings. I personally like them and other than the fact that one cannot lap them, I feel they are superior to the Leupold rings. Warne is all I use.

I can list my credentials too, if you'd like.

I'm also a Professional Engineer, licensed to practice in my State.

Geargrinder
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. You must have posted your first post while I was answering Engineering 101's post. I didn't see it until now. I didn't mean to make it look like I didn't think you knew what you were talking about. I'm open to all opinions. I'm just curious why Leupold advises that.

Not directed at anyone other than the op...................You can argue with anyone. If I call myself God is my word gospel? Some of the "smart" people I know are the dumbest idiots that ever walked the earth.
Did
You need to learn to read between the lines.
Didn't you see the Smiley Face in my original post? Do you have something constructive you'd like to add?

I need to learn to read between the lines? What do you mean, sarcasm is not constructive? Sometimes I forget that text has no tone, just being a smart-*** myself but no I missed the smiley. The closest thing to constructive is to say I have used leupold steel rings on aluminum bases without problems. Aint saying it's right or not, but at least in my case it has not bean a problem.

I found the answer on Optics Planet for my question. The Nightforce A165 base does fit the LA round Savage receiver.
I'm sure the Warne base would work fine also. I like the NF bases and rings, but I'll buy the first quality steel piccatinny base I can find at a good price. Anyone want to trade a heavy steel base for a lightweight Talley aluminum base?

Never put steel rings on aluminum bases. The thermal coefficient of expansion of aluminum is much greater than for steel. The base will expand when they get warm and at least stretch if not break the bolt holding the steel rings and then get loose when they get cold. Yeah I learned this the hard way.

I designed enough jet engine hardware in 37 years to know that statement to be 99% CRAP! Is there a difference in expansion....sure....at elevated temperatures. Anything this side of HELL isnt going to make any difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.