steel base and aluminum rings issues?

First I'm a semi-retired flight simulation engineer and sometimes called, well to be honest all the time an OCD SOB, which actually I don't mind. I research the heck out of things I'm going to work on, project, buying items, etc. I spend a LOT of time on that last part, I'll spend hours researching what the PRS guy's use, what LD hunters use and so on. I look at all the data, reviews and of course cost-to-performance and value.

I just ordered a set of steel TPS TPR 30mm rings, along with a steel TPS 20 MOA base for my Rem 700 .380 upgrade project. It now looks like I mistakenly ordered aluminum rings instead of steel. There are no steel versions of this model that I can find for sale on-line as of this moment. The aluminum rings will be here on Monday.

After spending a few hours researching this issue of aluminum rings on a steel base and finally finding this thread, I'm not going to sweat it. My OCD says send them back when they get here, but the data says keep them. It's a target rifle for now, the action/barrel will probably not even get warm, much less get 'hot' enough to make some difference anyway.

How to deal with the OCD thought process though? They weigh less. Not to mention I'm not going to wait until they available, ship these AL ones back and then pay and wait on shipping again. The rings are the only missing part to complete my upgrades, I'm not going to delay the project any longer due to this 'issue'.

Thanks again for the thread and information, there are some great minds here. This is a prime example of me being glad I found this group. As a new guy here, this forum has provided a LOT of useful informtion from very knowledgeable folks. Thanks...

Cheers,

Chip
---

First I'm a semi-retired flight simulation engineer and sometimes called, well to be honest all the time an OCD SOB, which actually I don't mind. I research the heck out of things I'm going to work on, project, buying items, etc. I spend a LOT of time on that last part, I'll spend hours researching what the PRS guy's use, what LD hunters use and so on. I look at all the data, reviews and of course cost-to-performance and value.

I just ordered a set of steel TPS TPR 30mm rings, along with a steel TPS 20 MOA base for my Rem 700 .380 upgrade project. It now looks like I mistakenly ordered aluminum rings instead of steel. There are no steel versions of this model that I can find for sale on-line as of this moment. The aluminum rings will be here on Monday.

After spending a few hours researching this issue of aluminum rings on a steel base and finally finding this thread, I'm not going to sweat it. My OCD says send them back when they get here, but the data says keep them. It's a target rifle for now, the action/barrel will probably not even get warm, much less get 'hot' enough to make some difference anyway.

How to deal with the OCD thought process though? They weigh less. Not to mention I'm not going to wait until they available, ship these AL ones back and then pay and wait on shipping again. The rings are the only missing part to complete my upgrades, I'm not going to delay the project any longer due to this 'issue'.

Thanks again for the thread and information, there are some great minds here. This is a prime example of me being glad I found this group. As a new guy here, this forum has provided a LOT of useful informtion from very knowledgeable folks. Thanks...

Cheers,

Chip
---

They'll work perfect. Keep them.