Starting over with 6x284

Iron Worker

Today shooting in Hot NV desert . Starting load of 49grs of Re#22 behind Hornady 105 HPBT seating 20/1000 off the lands produced 3200 FPS 51.5 grs of Re#22 same bullet produced 3375 average velocity,and starting getting shinny ejector mark,so not wanting to ruin any new Lapua brass I stopped. All loads produced very poor accuracy. Now I'm thinking either start Burning Re#25 same bullet but also seating closer to lands or trying Berger 105 Hybrids and seating them also closer to lands with Re#25 . 30" Brux bbl 8" twist . If 51.5grs of Re#22 was a max charge what would be a starting load with Re#25 ?
Modify message

Are you seeing any problems with temperature sensitivity and those two powders. I didn't like the way my loads pressure varied from summer to winter. A near max load developed in winter was way over-pressure in the summer.

First thing I'd try is a different bullet. What twist is in your barrel?

Same thing happened to me in my .300 win mag with reloader 22. Once that powder is gone won't get any more. Might just try it trade it off...

I would never recommend changing bullet and powder load at the same time. Do one, decide on a load from the data you collect, and then work on the other. IMO, .020 off the lands is a good starting point and in your situation I would work on adjusting OAL (CBTO) in .006 increments (in both directions - sometimes .030 beats .020 and moving closer to the lands might not be the answer) to see where the node(s) might be.
What were the load variations between 49 and 51.5 grains?
What rifle? Custom reamer or factory?
I can't find anything from Alliant for Re#25 (they list 4000-MR for the 6mm Remington and .243 Winchester) and their reloading data lists Re#25 for
Weatherby Magnums and other large capacity cartridges (slow burning powder); Re#22 for .270, 7mm magnum and .300 Win Mag.
It might be that you've just got the wrong powder.
Have you tried Varget?

I would go with Retumbo before Varget. You have an overbore combination (case and caliber) and you are using heavy for caliber bullets. My opinion is the slower the powder the better if you have a decent barrel length.

I also agree with changing only one variable at a time. Most people are reluctant to change bullets early in load development (me included) but my experience is that is where I generally see the best results.

Being a long time Reloder user, I wouldn't try Reloder 25 in a Short Action, it just seems unneccesary. Reloder 22 and 25 shine in longer casings and heavy bullets. You are on the heavy end for 6mm so you might see good performance with RL 25, but I would be more likely to try Reloder 19 first with either a 308 or 284 based cartridge. IF you are dead set on trying Reloder 25, you should be safe backing off your RL22 charge by a couple grains to get a starting load. Typically with Reloder powder the slower the powder the more you can put in the case, but since you are using such a slow powder for your cartridge, I wouldn't jump straight to 51.5 grs for a starting load. Just my .02, I tried to find a short action RL25 load to compare to and was unable to.

I'm really curious where people get this temp sensitive Reloder powders from, I've been using them for years in temperatures from -60F to 120F and I have never had a measurable difference in any of my rifles out to 600yds.

I've been using retumbo in mine,but have been thinking about trying to work up a load or two with reloader 17 to see how it would do.

Early in my load development with a 6mm-284 30" Bartlein 5 R 1 in 7.5 twist I used Retumbo with 107 sierras with good results. 57 gr yielded 3400.

Also tried H4831 and 50 gr yielded 3225

------------------

I had mentioned this to you in a PM, Iron Worker:

RL-33 was the best with the max loads filling the case requiring a drop tube with 105 hybrids.

My 105 hybrid is seated to fit and feed from a Wyatt's mag box. Jump to rifling is .160" very accurate.

-------------

Had I known about it back then I might have tried US 869. No point now with approx. 1000 rounds through barrel. I'll might try it with the next barrel.

I'll bet H1000 will work as well but haven't tried it either.

Re#33 produced extreme pressure signs. Last night tried Re#25 with promising results. Didn't have time to set up Chrnograph and just shot off sand bags on ply wood of my truck bed in high winds.

I believe I remember we talked about your not being able to get close to my load with RL-33. RL-25 sounds like it has potential. Keep us informed.

Saw your post on another forum and responded. If you are changing powders to get increased speed I can agree with your method. However, if you are discounting the powder based on 1 seating depth I am unsure of the why. If I have powder giving me the speed I desire I tune the load via seating depth. I like to start .010 off the lands for pressure and then test at .010, .025, .050, .075 , .100, .125 etc for seating depth. Usually one of those works out well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.