6x284

I haven't necked any brass down, but there is plenty of NEW Lapua 6.5X284 available and several companies that form 6X284 for about $80 per 50 (Reedsammo), but they are usually sold out. I did some research on that cartridge a while back looking for fast 6mm and this is a about one of of the best especially with at least a 26" to get the best performance.. Shouldn't be that hard if you have the dies. Just use new brass when forming.
I am sure someone on this forum will give you excellent instructions.
Have fun shooting that 6mm speed demon!

That's what I figured but I had read some information about case collapse being an issue. I figured it was probably more operator error though. Just wanted some reassurance before buying dies. Thanks for the help fellas

I would really look at the throat before I invested $ and time in the brass. I had one for a short time some years back. It was fun and pretty impressive.

Might want to anneal first and neck down in 2 steps
This is good advice. New Lapua brass (which is what I would use) comes annealed, but I would neck it down in 2-3 steps with a good bushing die. I use 3 steps when going from .284 to .264 cases, .305, .298, .291. Same basic amount as .264 to .243. I would go .286, .279, .271 (+/- depending on neck thickness and desired final neck tension preference).

There was a lot of 6mm284 info on this site a couple of years ago. Don't know if you can dig that up. I resize 284W brass in on step. No problems except brass needs to be neck turned after sizing. Neck thickness was .022 after resizing and turned to .014. Burned out one barrel and replaced with a Lilja 30" med wt. Shot .2's with old reloads, 87 gr VMax & RL22. Makes hamburger out of prairie dogs.

I've done it both ways.....standard 284 brass in one shot to 6mm and 2 steps with a 6.5x284 die, then down to 6mm. In one step, it seems the case mouth flares a tiny bit but irons out after a couple firings. Now is the time to make the head space on the brass a snug fit with slight drag closing the bolt. Then worry about shoulder bump when they get tight after firing.

I've gone through 5 barrels in the last 10 years, and each one has at least one new batch of brass, so I've done this several times. Looking at my notes, New Lapua 6.5X55 brass necks measured .290". I use Redding 6mm-284 bushing dies and started with .282" then .272". The .272" reduced the neck .003" under my neck expander prior to turning necks which was perfect. Lapua brass it's like jewerly. Cheers!

Last edited: