Starting Out - Please Help.

White Mule

[FONT=&quot]I am a Newbe to Long Range Hunting.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I just purchased a 300 Jarrett with a nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 56 NPR1 Zero Stop scope.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now I need some help with everything else that I need in my quest to become a proficient Long Range Shooter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With that said, it looks like most everyone thinks that LoadBase 3.0 is the BEST ballistic software available. I assume that Sierra Infinity V6 and Dexadine Ballistic Explorer 6.4.0 simply do not measure up to LoadBase 3.0. Is that correct?

I have the following equipment:[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Swarovski spotting scope & 10 x 42 binoculars.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Garman etrex vista HCx GPS.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Oehler Model 43 chronograph that needs repaired.[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]How about a Range Finder? I have a Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also, could anyone give me some pointers as to what other equipment I will need?[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What PDA or Pocket PC is best?[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What Weather Meter should I buy?[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Etc.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks![/FONT]

You sure asked a pile of questions. they aren't all easily answered.

I'll just list the things I use, not necessarily the best, but they work.

I haven't played with loadbase, I use Quickload and Exbal (PC and PDA).
My pda is a palm, but I'd probably go with a PC if I did it again.

I use a Swarovski laser Rangefinder.

I use the NP-R1 reticle's on my rifles, it is a nice reticle.

A lot of practice and good reloads will take you the rest of the way.

AJ

AJ,

Thanks Sooooo Much for your advice. Right now this whole process seems pretty intimidating. I am very thankful for a web site like this and everyone like you who is willing to share their knowledge and expertice.

Have a Great Day and May God Bless!

White Mule,

The best thing to do is do some searching on these topics in the various forums, especially the equipment forum. When you find a thread, there will also be a listed of related threads at the bottom of the page.

The Swaro seems to be the most popular RF, but Zeiss has a new one out that may be almost as good or possibly better in some situations,

The Kestral 3500 seems to be the most popular weather meter.

Welcome and good shooting,

-MR

Mt. Rifleman: I bought the Zeiss thinking I could sell the swaro and save some cash: Big mistake. It won't range even close to the Swaro. The other jay up the Joe I ranged a dear at 1935 with the swaro. The best I could get with the zeiss was 1348 on an elk. It was clear skies and hot. Yes the swaro is slower but this is the price you pay for a higher power laser and that's why it takes time to charge. If I was a Bow hunter the zeiss would be a good choice or a target shooter who likes to shoot 1400 and less. But then you have the leica which is much smaller and compact and ranges pretty evenly with the zeiss. If I had to pick between the zeiss and leica, I would pick the leica.

Welcome to the Fun! I have a swarov 1500 that I love. I'm not sure the bushnell will get you 1000 yds in a lot of conditions. Another good choice would be the leica 12oo. It is a little less spendy than the swarov but does a great job and will fit in your pocket....God bless........Rich

Links, I read a post from another member that said the Zeiss's ranged consistantly to about 1440 in bright sun and snow and also read a couple of posts where the Swaros would maybe only reach 1000 yds in those conditions? I don't know. At the present, I have niether and am trying to make up my mind on what to get.

I heard the Best of the West guys were coming up with a 2K RF that could do all kinds of stuff... with a price tag of course...

-MR

I think that taking your rig into the field will tell you what things you need the most. If you can't hold anywhere close to the target, then you'll possibly need a better portable bench and rest or bi-pod / rear mono assembly. If you can hold but can't hit maybe you'll need to work up better loads or have some work done to the gun (or both). If you're grouping at distance and can't hit when the wind picks up or the weather changes, you may need a better wind meter ( FYI, I'm using the 4500 NV, I got a good Ebay deal on one), or you may need a better program on a pocket PC. For the PC, I bought the Nightforce program and a pocket PC that would support it. That's all I wanted the PC for anyway. Once you can hit at distances that your range finder won't read to (or won't read accurately to) then you can look into a bigger range finder.
You do realize that then your caliber will be holding you back and you'll have to step that up to stretch things a little farther? :)

Have fun!
Coyoter

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.