starting out

zach93

Hey,
I am new here I want to start out long range hunting i hunt in wyoming and california.
I have a Tikka T3 Lite 270WSM SS it has a leupold VX-2 3-9X40 scope on it.
I am going to send it to the leupold custom shop but need some help.
I am deciding if i should to go with the miil dot system or go with the target turetts or the M-1 turetts. whats best??
I am going to buy the rcbs reloading kit to reload.
What do you guys preffer of a bullet to use.
Shots are going to be from 50- 600 yards hopefully with a 3-9 scope.
The gun is proven to kill blacktails, muleys, and hogs.
Also has anyone had any experience with the b-square roto tilt bipod.
Thanks,
Zach

Zach; the .270 WSM is a capable cartridge at 600 yds. Several suggestions:

Consider a bigger scope, 4.5 x 14 x 50 or 6.5 x 20 x 50 x 30 mm tube.(for either one). Lots of advantages.
I like a mil-dot reticle.
If you want to crank in correction for shots, you'll need target turrets. If you learn where the dots are for your rifle and load, you can go with low knobs. Cranking is more precise, shooting the dots is much faster.
You want to shoot sub moa. Rifle has to be able to do that.
I recommend Smkhp's and Nosler Accubond bullets. 130 - 150 grain bullets are a good balance of velocity, ballistic coefficient, retained energy.
Any bipod will have to be attached to the fore end and the barrel has to be floated to prevent moving the p.o.i. around.
Some light weight barrels are very accurate, but they heat up fast and don't help damp heartbeat and jitters. Heavy barrels are better in both cases.

Practice, practice. Good shooting, Tom

On edit; Just noticed that this is your first post. Welcome to the site.

Last edited:
Zach99,

Welcome aboard! And good shootin' to ya......

What specweldon said with emphasis on a variable of at least 14X on the high end w/50mm objective. Also Accubonds or ballistic tips of the nosler brand. 140s are enough for the game you mentioned and I'd reckon the WSM is good for a bit more than 600. W/a mil dot scope on a 270 Win w/140s at 3200 700 yds has proven way doable.

Okay Thanks for the info now If I stay with the 3-9 for a couple of years and i get turetts put on from leupold can I take the turetts off and put them on a vx-II 6-18 later.
I dont have the money to upgrade scopes because I have to buy a bow.
And I am only 14 so not a lot of income right now.

Thanks
Zach

Zach, I'm almost 70, and still not a lot of income! Run what you brung! Many years ago, I won the 1000 yd Expert Class Texas State Championship shooting a K-8 Weaver on a homemade Mauser action 7 Rem Mag. Did it again the next year with another homemade rifle in .300 Win Mag. Point is, if your rifle will shoot 1 moa or better, practice will tell you what your maximum hunting range is. Get good. Targets don't die a slow, hard death if you wound them. Animals do, and it's one of the worst things a hunter can do.

The cost for Leupold to swap turrets, etc, may be more than you want to pay. It's been awhile since I checked their website, but the last time I did, the custom shop was down for updateing.

Sounds like you've got your priorities straight young man, but in 2-3 yrs, expect girls to take over the top spot. It happens. Meantime, bow hunt, rifle hunt as much as you can and later you'll come back to it. Shooting and hunting are great sports.

This is a good site, and there are guys on it that I believe can answer any question. Old guys are full of information, and full of a lot of something else, too, so if you feel one leg getting longer, we might be having a little fun.

Keep us posted on how you're doing, Tom

Zach; the Leupold custom shop site is up. Just checked. When you select scope model and type, reticles or knobs can be selected and the price shows up bottom rt corner. Don't know if it's just the option price or the cost to change them.

Good hunting, Tom

So I e-mailed leupold abought the turrets on prices and the switching cost.
Now I was looking at kenton turrets and now what is the differnce in those and the leupold target turrets ???
Kenton turrets lok pretty good but do I have to have the leupold target turrets put on first??

Thanks guys
Zach

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.