Starting out

mosulli4

All,

I live in a country (Ireland) that has very restrictive firearms licensing laws (fullbore up to .270 calibre, no 7.62 or 5.56 military). I have joined the only fulbore rifle club/range in the country, and would like opinions on the rifle/calibre/scope I have purchased...

Rifle - Sako 75 Varmint - Action size IV

Calibre - 6.5 x 55 Swede - popular in club which shoots F Class, out to 1000 yards

Scope - Burris Black Diamond 6-24X-50 with Target Turrets, Posilock, Fine Duplex, Side PA. purchased on the internet from reputable dealer. Could not afford a leupold or european scope at present, but have heard great things about Burris optics.

Any comments or opinions?

Be kind as I am collecting the rifle tommorow...

Regards & thanks,

Mike

I believe you'll be happy with the 6.5 x 55, good selection of bullets and a capable case capacity.

Go slow and have great fun.

P. S. Safe a few extra extra each paypay for bullets, it'll get expensive if you get to liking this a bit.

/respectfully

Mike

Good setup for your situation.

Depending on what bullets are available, the 140 Hornady Amax, Sierra 142, Lapua 139, Clinch River 135 or 140, JLK 140, Berger 140 etc.

Think I would try Amax as first factory bullet and then CR 135 if available.

Have local smith bed it and tune the trigger.

The burris scope does not have a lot of elevation and you will need about 24-27 MOA to get 1000.

Suggest Burris double dovetail bases for Sako and Burris Signature Rings with the .020 insert kit in them. That will give you 20 MOA built in taper to allow the crosshairs to center more. Cost from Brownells is about $90 full retail. www.brownells.com.

Norma MRP powder would be good choice and readily available there.

BH

[ 04-22-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.