need help starting out

ace

need help starting out. been hunting for a few years now and would like to start going long. i will be taking shots up to 500 yds.
these are the rifles i have,

armalite ar-50
browning a-bolt .300 win.
winchester 70 .270 short
savage 110 30-06
remington 700 vls .223
t/c encore
busmaster m4a2 .223
and some handguns and shotguns.

i was thinking of getting a .308

don't want to use the .50

Hello Souptown, What are you hunting? With what you have, if you're doing your homework & are making consistent hits at that distance then you have enough gun to go well past that range. Make sure you're using good bullets & quality glass.

I'll second that Ceejack2... You are gunned to go 500 yards and beyond easily.....Unless you are looking for an excuse to buy another rifle. Who isn't looking to buy another rifle?

Good luck
Frank D

Souptown, Another round you might want to consider is a 7mm-08, then I can give you my recipe for 150MK, which looks like it's going to be **** accurate bullet out of my rifle. But I've got a good one for the 150NoslerBT also, I guess I need to have to a shootout between the two.
grin.gif
Jay

if you're going after varmits, run with the remmy 223. if you want big game, have the browning 300 winny floated, bedded, etc. both will easily go 500+ no problems.

-brian

i will be hunting deer sized animals. my 300 will shoot m.o.a. to 500 with 165gr sst. have never used on anything. does anyone know how well these preform on game.

i was just thinking that the 308 would be eaiser on the shoulder when practicing.

Your set up sounds like it will do just fine. If you are looking for less recoil it looks like you have a 30-06 and 270 (if they will shoot) or just add a muzzle brake if you don't mind a little extra noise. But it seems that you want another rifle. So considering your needs my suggestion, if you purchase another would be to go with one of the 6mm calibers such as a 243improved. You will get better trajectory and less wind drift than the 308, while keeping recoil to a minimum.

[ 07-14-2003: Message edited by: MTBA ]

If your looking for a new rifle that will go out to 500+ yards easily on deer and wont kick the crap out of you and is superior to .243" on deer, then look at a 25/06 Remington. I have taken coyotes and deer to 600 yards with regularity. Load with a 115g B-tip at 3200fps and you are set.

I'll echo Ceejack when he mentions the need for a quality scope! In most cases, you'll end up paying more for the scope than the rifle. I think if you are strictly sticking with deer, I'd opt for the 270WSM it will perform well for you and won't beat you to death. Otherwise, I'd probably tune up your 300 Win Mag and start shooting it. Consider an accurizing job through your gunsmith if you can't shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards and take up reloading if you haven't already. By loading up your own ammo, you can really tighten those groups up. If you're wanting to buy a new gun strictly for long range hunting, I would agree with your decision to do so. I'm new myself and bought a 7mm Ultra Mag in a Remington 700 Sendero that should fill the bill for most of my shooting but I would recommend that you check out a custom rifle if you plan on getting super serious about it. Research and decide wisely.

Best wishes

What kind of help do you need??

The 308 make a very potent weapon at 500 yards, even 1000 with the right gun and loads. 308s are hard to beat, they make tons of bullets weights and styles and are VERY accurate even at 500+ yards. In the hands of a skilled reloader one can drive heavier bullets with higher coefficients faster with the 308 than with the standard 243 or even the 7mm08. A 7mm08 would be a little easier on the shoulder but not enough to notice. Remington 700 pss or vssf or even the vs make very accurate out of the box rifles and custom rifles can be made to fill any desire you have.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.