Start of case separation??????

Chesterrose79

So I have a 6.5 creemoor and I've been reloading with lapua brass. So far with this brass I've done load development and have had some pressure signs. I'm on my third firing with these. Last firing I seen these rings and shot them anyway. Nothing happened and I am happy with the results. My question is. Am I sitting on a ticking time bomb? Should I scrap these? I checked the inside with a paper lip and felt nothing.

Attachments

• E3E80820-DBD6-4DA9-9DC3-E97098DD96C2.jpeg
    E3E80820-DBD6-4DA9-9DC3-E97098DD96C2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 625
It looks like it, but most separations I've seen have been closer to case head.
You might be able to see it with a small flashlight, although the .264 hole might make it a bit hard. I wonder if your brass is finally expanded to tightly fit your chamber and you've got a small "scratch" that's leaving the mark on the brass?

What is your sizing procedure??

Normally, an incipient head separation shows as a wide yellow looking ring about a 1/4 or more up the case.
That shiny ring is from an ammo box where during transport the case rotated as it rattles around. I bet if you check it will be adjacent to the top of the tray.

Hope this eases your mind.

Cheers.

Did you notice it prior to or subsequently after firing? Likely from ammo box if you see others that have the same ring and not been fired. You should have noticed it prior to loading if it had been there. If it really bothers you, sacrifice a piece of brass and cut it in half. That should settle it once and for all.

Did you notice it prior to or subsequently after firing? Likely from ammo box if you see others that have the same ring and not been fired. You should have noticed it prior to loading if it had been there. If it really bothers you, sacrifice a piece of brass and cut it in half. That should settle it once and for all.
It's been there for a couple firings. Didn't think much of it till I seen a thread on here about a gentleman having a case separated

I honestly think they're scratched from my sizing die. Every one has the same marks and it doesn't extend onto the shoulder towards the neck. They're all same length and pattern.

Attachments

• ECAC73EB-06A2-4768-A44E-7593F01755C9.jpeg
    ECAC73EB-06A2-4768-A44E-7593F01755C9.jpeg
    935.9 KB · Views: 360
  • 8501DDDA-1703-496D-953B-4571A6433BFC.jpeg
    8501DDDA-1703-496D-953B-4571A6433BFC.jpeg
    893.5 KB · Views: 348
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.