Wet Merino Pro 200

Velvet

hello
My Kuiu merino Pro 200 remains soaked for several hours, using it as a base layer and after walking more than 10km with a loaded backpack. This happens in winter with temperatures ranging from 2 to 10°C, and under the Kenai Kuiu jacket (with both pit zips open).
I clarify that I love Kuiu clothing, but I would need a garment that dries faster. Currently I have to take everything off and put on something dry.
Maybe something synthetic would be better instead of merino?
Any advice or opinion is welcome.
thank you
V

Attachments

• 20240521_131401.jpg
    20240521_131401.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240521_131352.jpg
    20240521_131352.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 45
When I hit the trailhead while it's still dark and cold, I start out with a mid-layer merino wool layer only. If I'm cold when I start my hike, I'm doing it right. I'll do my long hike in, up the hill, on my one speed which is a pretty good clip. I'll be sweaty as heck, even though it's cold, by the time I reach my hunting spot. I put my pack down, grab a fresh merino layer or layers depending on the temperature, and start my stalking…I'll be dry and warm the rest of the day moving at stalking speed.

The point is, don't use just two layers for a day of hunting. Have several and change out if you're cold and sweaty. Trust me when I tell you this works.

Side note. If you hang that wet layer on your pack while you're cruising around all day…granted it needs to be above freezing and dry out…you can get that wet layer dry in couple hours.

100% agree with above.

That is a pretty heavy piece if your going to work up a lather! I'd definitely go synthetic for your described condition.

I run a light weight wool T-shirt and then synthetic sometimes because a wet wool doesn't feel so cold and clammy next to the skin…

When I hit the trailhead while it's still dark and cold, I start out with a mid-layer merino wool layer only. If I'm cold when I start my hike, I'm doing it right. I'll do my long hike in, up the hill, on my one speed which is a pretty good clip. I'll be sweaty as heck, even though it's cold, by the time I reach my hunting spot. I put my pack down, grab a fresh merino layer or layers depending on the temperature, and start my stalking…I'll be dry and warm the rest of the day moving at stalking speed.

The point is, don't use just two layers for a day of hunting. Have several and change out if you're cold and sweaty. Trust me when I tell you this works.

Side note. If you hang that wet layer on your pack while you're cruising around all day…granted it needs to be above freezing and dry out…you can get that wet layer dry in couple hours.
The issue is that I bought the Merino Pro200, which is a blend of merino and synthetic, because the advertisement said that it dried several times faster than exclusively Merino fabrics, but it never finishes drying (unless you put it in the sun and wait for a while).
Initially, I thought that with body heat it would dry quickly, but no, even by placing a piece of clothing on top, like down.
I think your advice of using a garment for the climb and intense hiking, and then changing it once you reach the camp or hunting area, would be the best option, and I think it should be synthetic. I am disappointed with the Kuiu Merino Pro200, at least for my intended use. Thanks for your answer.

100% agree with above.

That is a pretty heavy piece if your going to work up a lather! I'd definitely go synthetic for your described condition.

I run a light weight wool T-shirt and then synthetic sometimes because a wet wool doesn't feel so cold and clammy next to the skin…
I have an Ultra Merino 120 LT LS Crew-T that is much lighter than the Merino Pro200, but ends up just as soaked after the intense hike.
It seems to me that the key would be to use a synthetic T Shirt for that intense use, as you suggest, and then change it to dry, warm clothing for slower activity.

I am exclusively KUIU and have several of the merino pro 200 but only use them as a "change into" layer. For hike ins I use a peleton 118 next to the skin and an ultra merino 145 over that down to about the 40'sF (6-7C) then reverse if colder. Both get soaked but I'm in AZ now and everything dries quick here. Even in the rain oddly enough 😁 Used the same system when I was in Idaho as well but used to just add a 240 and puffy to sit out the wet. Changing out is way better. Change out socks as well. Nope. No solutions, just what I do.

Recent Posts