Case separation ??

sendero72

All of a sudden I'm getting case separations. Shooting a 7mag, new Hart barrel, 162 A-max, 72grs H-1000, MV 2970. Only 230 rds down the tube. Had been loading using my old Lee dies with no problems and now I've switched to Redding S type. Brass had been Win, and Nosler. Several cases separated after 4 loading. The separation in about 1/16" above the belt. These have been full length re-sized. One of the guys at Hart says that my dies are not set up correctly. Needless to say Redding is close for the week. Any suggestion guys.

All of a sudden I'm getting case separations. Shooting a 7mag, new Hart barrel, 162 A-max, 72grs H-1000, MV 2970. Only 230 rds down the tube. Had been loading using my old Lee dies with no problems and now I've switched to Redding S type. Brass had been Win, and Nosler. Several cases separated after 4 loading. The separation in about 1/16" above the belt. These have been full length re-sized. One of the guys at Hart says that my dies are not set up correctly. Needless to say Redding is close for the week. Any suggestion guys.

Howdy,

Here is an excellent article on how to set up your dies. Hope this helps.

Coach

The Rifleman's Journal: Basics: Headspace

Set up your dies to push the shoulder back .001" or less. Essentially, ignore the belt. The article that Coach linked to is spot on. One minor detail that is easily missed in that article is "consistent application of sizing lube is important." I use Imperial sizing wax, I apply it with my fingers and have not found a more consistent lube, when you're reloading for accuracy.

AJ

Yes, ignore the belt and headspace off the shoulder but that doesn't mean you won't get head separations. Also, just neck sizing the brass should help. You apparently got 3 loadings out of the brass and with some loads and some rifles that's all you're going to get.

I agree with the above posts I have ran into the exact same thing. I have found it only take 2-3 times of reloading the cases with the shoulders pushed back to far before they start seperating especially after running that much powder. I do have a question for you, what is the length of your barrel? The reason I ask is because I run 70.4 grains of H1000 behind the 162 amax's and in a 24" barrel I am getting 3040 fps and in my 28" barrel and the exact same load I am getting 3133 fps. Good luck with your problem I set my dies to just sqeeze everything more that resize it.

Jason

You should also change out the standard expander if you haven't done so already.

Tom, I don't own any Redding Dies and I am curious as to what is wrong with the
Redding expander and what you change yours to. I switched to buying Forester dies
about 10 years ago and just haven't ponied up for a set of Reddings yet.

Tom, I don't own any Redding Dies and I am curious as to what is wrong with the
Redding expander and what you change yours to. I switched to buying Forester dies
about 10 years ago and just haven't ponied up for a set of Reddings yet.

Here is something from Redding on what they supply with the Type S die.

A decapping pin retainer is also supplied with most Type S - Bushing Dies except 17 and 20 Cal. This enables neck sizing without the use of the size button for those who sort and/or turn case necks for uniform.

Case head separations are especially common with belted magnum calibers. Factory loads headspace on the belt, but handloads MUST have -.002" or less chamber clearance at the shoulder.

headspace-2.jpg

Picture from a good article on www.larrywillis.com
This shows how case separation begins inside of the case. Reducing chamber clearance (at the shoulder) prevents the case from stretching (and thinning) the brass. Full length resizing is the way to go, but your die height MUST be set accurately, and measuring is required.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts