standard target size?

Stainless10FP

Hi, myself and a buddy are setting up a spring fun shoot and we are in the process of making targets. he's making some self standing bowling ping swinging things and Im in charge of making about 6 portable Gong type targets. I have access to all the 1/2" stainless and AR plate I would ever need so Im wondering what size to laser cut them at. Is there any kind of standard size to use at 300/600/800/1000 yards etc.? We will be shooting anywhere from 100 out to 1000 yards. I was just wondering if there is any kind of standard sizes used for gong targets at any given distance. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Jon

For me, about 10" from 300-600, 700- 1000 -20"x20".
I chain them between gates(with the gate open!!)
The gong is welded to a tube via rebar which is then slid over the chain and some bolts put through the chain to stop the gong moving left n right.
this is by far the best way Ive found of hanging gongs.
They used to have D shackles holding them to the chain but the shackle would not handle it for too long, the new way handles a 338 Lapua 300 gr SMK ALL DAY.
I hope you can see but this is some very short footage of the gongs in action.
BTW the SMALL gong is only 5" at 450 yrds
Hope you get the idea

YouTube - 338 Lapua Magnum

YouTube - 338 Lapua Magnum

Got one at 1130 & 1250 which is 24X24 bolted to a post in front of a clay bank, on the same post above it there is a 12" round gong also, kinda looks like a person!!!:rolleyes:

Regards 300WSMMAD

Its bloody hard to hit !

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts