Target size for 600 yard shots

Maina

I'm getting some ar 500 plate what size should the circle be out at 600 yards . This will be for kill zone shots for big white tail deer

Get the biggest piece of steel you can and paint a target in the center of it. If you have no spotter (person not glass) you'll go crazy trying figure out if you're high or low or L or R. Picture you going by yourself and you shoot 3 shots and you miss each time. If your rifle is grouping well the extra steel will reveal where you're hitting. I got over small steel years ago. I buy 16" now.

Cross

I agree with cross to a point. Last year I used big backgrounds (4'x8' plywood) on my targets but used MOA sized targets for the range I'm shooting (i.e., 6" for 600yds, 10" for 1K, etc.). This really helps me see what my loads are doing, consistantcy wise and gives me a better idea how the wind is causing my bullets to fly at extended ranges (1K +). JohnnyK.

Johnny K and Cross are giving you some really good advice.

Just so you only have one thing to move I'd go with the 16" hangers and just get a can or something 6" in diameter to use as a stencil border to mark your center clearly.

White wash works great for the outer portion because it dries to a hard surface but turns to powder when you get a hit so it really shows up well.

You make white wash from the lyme you can get at the hardware store, just tell them you want to use it to make "white wash".

You can do the same thing by watering down some wall plaster to the consistency of thick paint.

On hot days it dries awfully fast when exposed to air.

One of these days I'll get around to cutting out a life size deer target with some scrap metal laying around the shop. I have a card board target with a full size deer target with the vitals outlined on it that I'll use for a stencil for it. It will be mild steel but I'll weld an ar500 plate on the vitals area.

I put a 2'x2' cardboard box out at 600 yards on top of a hill with a 12" target taped to it.
I need to keep the holes consistently within 5" of the bull to rate myself and that rifle good for hunting at 600 yards.
Good luck spotting the holes with a spotting scope at 600 yards:)

Attachments

• target 2015.jpg
    target 2015.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 136
Yea I work some with ar plate but stealing it from one of are power plants isn't going to happen! The cost took my breath away lol ! This long range game isn't for poor people ! But hey work hard play hard . And now my two sons will do this with me , just got there guns back . I thing drugs cost more the same as my love for hunting and shooting

I use a 24" 1/4" round piece of art plate that was available and a couple of 10" as well .

Killz in the spray can is what I paint targets with a little goes a long way and leaves well defined holes.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.