Target size height for mildot ranging (deer and coyote)?

countryrebel

Just wondering what you guy's have come up with in inches for different animals? I am more interested in chest size measurements (ie) top of back to bottom of chest. Maybe elk and bear to if you have them. A sitting or standing coyote would also be another useful one to have. Chime in with any other suggestions.
Thanks

I believe that:

deer are approx 18" back- brisket
bull elk approx 30" back- brisket
cow elk approx 24" back - brisket
coyotes standing approx 10" back- brisket
coyotes sitting approx 24"

I could be wrong but these should be fairly close

I like to play around with reticle rangefinding myself, and have had more than a reasonable degree of luck ranging antelope to about 400-500 yds.

I was actually successful to 725 yds. once with a buck using a plex-style reticle--BUT that was too much luck to think it could be repeated. I haven't done it since.
I measured 2 "avg." does once at exactly 14" laying on the ground back to brisket, and A buddy and i have both come up with 11" b-b on winter coyotes (5-6" vital zone).

I used a point blank range rangefinding system this last year on a doe antelope with the Varmint Hunter reticle and it also worked. I have done this once before on a coyote with success.

IMO, the PBR reticle-rangefinding system is the most useful system.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.