StaBall HD

Supposedly it's doable… I'm gonna do some more digging a find out for sure. I'd like to find enough of the fairy dust (H1000) to make it worth it. I find 1lb containers once every 4-5 months but that would take ages to get enough to last.
I think the real fairy dust for this cartridge and a number of others like it is RL26. If I could find a few pounds of that I'd be all over it.

I'll probably try to make some of that brass. Looks like it needs quite a bit of trimming, I wonder if the necks need turned too.

I just found some more data, Hogdgon has StaBall HD listed for the 270 WSM, along with Retumbo. StaBall has a starting load 2gr more than Retumbo.

I believe Hodgdon has 1 lbers in stock right now. Not cheap, but they're there.
Yeah, I can't afford to spend that much in shipping. I'll wait until it pops up again. I am taking a trip into town tomorrow, so hopefully I can get my hands on some.

There are several threads on LRH about Staball HD. Ol Rooster posted some load data from Winchester, and there is a link in that thread to I think some load data menus for different calibers and bullets on Hodgdon site.

I'm trying to get around to some testing myself. Its much closer to Retumbo and Ramshot Magnum than 8133 or N568 from the data I have seen.

I have only shot it 3 times so far. I shot a 300 win mag with a 212 eldx seated at 3.57 oal. I maxed out on the charge 78.5 gr of staball HD with new Peterson brass, even though the bullet was seated to 3.57 it was still compressed. It shot 2816 out of a 26" barrel. Suprisingly, the barrel was not that hot after the 3 shots.

I have only shot it 3 times so far. I shot a 300 win mag with a 212 eldx seated at 3.57 oal. I maxed out on the charge 78.5 gr of staball HD with new Peterson brass, even though the bullet was seated to 3.57 it was still compressed. It shot 2816 out of a 26" barrel. Suprisingly, the barrel was not that hot after the 3 shots.
Based on the research that I've done, it seems to be a really cool burning powder and might want to be compressed. I'm interested to find out. I ended up with 4lbs of it but haven't had a chance to get going on it. Things get hectic for me this time of year. After next week I'll be able to get all of my loading and shooting done though.

There are several threads on LRH about Staball HD. Ol Rooster posted some load data from Winchester, and there is a link in that thread to I think some load data menus for different calibers and bullets on Hodgdon site.

I'm trying to get around to some testing myself. Its much closer to Retumbo and Ramshot Magnum than 8133 or N568 from the data I have seen.
I've read that thread. There was some stuff, some of it was semi-useful, but I have still yet to find any data on the 7mm WSM. I'm excited to see what it can do. I've done very little testing with 8133, it's more like shot a few rounds with it. Maybe I can give the three of them a side by side comparison when I have time.

I've read that thread. There was some stuff, some of it was semi-useful, but I have still yet to find any data on the 7mm WSM. I'm excited to see what it can do. I've done very little testing with 8133, it's more like shot a few rounds with it. Maybe I can give the three of them a side by side comparison when I have time.
Just start with retumbo data and back off a decent amount, they are right beside each other on the burn rate chart.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230610-222101.png
    Screenshot_20230610-222101.png
    210.1 KB · Views: 100
Just start with retumbo data and back off a decent amount, they are right beside each other on the burn rate chart.
I think that's my plan. Looking at some other data, of similarly sized cartridges, they seem to start a tad higher with StaBall HD than Retumbo. The problem with doing it, just based on relative burn rate is that some powders may have different characteristics, I was just hoping someone else tried it first.

I think that's my plan. Looking at some other data, of similarly sized cartridges, they seem to start a tad higher with StaBall HD than Retumbo. The problem with doing it, just based on relative burn rate is that some powders may have different characteristics, I was just hoping someone else tried it first.
Well it pressures really fast, out of the 3 I shot, the first one was 78.5 gr, it was perfectly fine. I tried 79 and 79.5, they both had ejectors and were tough to get out. That may have correlation with the fact that I had them decently compressed, but I haven't shot the powder enough to come to that conclusion. I would say your best bet will be to back off atleast 4-5 grs from retumbo data. In the 7 wsm. I based my 300 win mag data with the 212 eldx off of the 208 a max and that bullets max was 81 grs or so. So really be careful with the powder.

I got a pound of StaBall HD at my LGS. I loaded 55.0 grains in a 6.5-06, Federal .270 Win reformed brass, necks turned down to .288, Barnes Match Burner 140 grain, Federal 215 Match primer. Pressures seemed normal, no primer cratering, easy extraction, accuracy no so good, I increased load to 56.0 grains, no adverse pressure signs, accuracy greatly improved. Powder filled case to slightly below junction neck & shoulder. Easy extraction. Clean burning. Plan to increase load to 56.5 grains. Conditions at 2nd test were 6-8 mph winds at 10 o'clock. I shot 13 rounds & accuracy improved. Next test with 56.6 grains will have velocity measured provided accuracy good & pressures OK. Last 13 round group had last 6 within 1 inch. Plan to work up stats. Temp about 75 F.

I got a pound of StaBall HD at my LGS. I loaded 55.0 grains in a 6.5-06, Federal .270 Win reformed brass, necks turned down to .288, Barnes Match Burner 140 grain, Federal 215 Match primer. Pressures seemed normal, no primer cratering, easy extraction, accuracy no so good, I increased load to 56.0 grains, no adverse pressure signs, accuracy greatly improved. Powder filled case to slightly below junction neck & shoulder. Easy extraction. Clean burning. Plan to increase load to 56.5 grains. Conditions at 2nd test were 6-8 mph winds at 10 o'clock. I shot 13 rounds & accuracy improved. Next test with 56.6 grains will have velocity measured provided accuracy good & pressures OK. Last 13 round group had last 6 within 1 inch. Plan to work up stats. Temp about 75 F.
Why powder do you normally shoot in that rifle?

I got a pound of StaBall HD at my LGS. I loaded 55.0 grains in a 6.5-06, Federal .270 Win reformed brass, necks turned down to .288, Barnes Match Burner 140 grain, Federal 215 Match primer. Pressures seemed normal, no primer cratering, easy extraction, accuracy no so good, I increased load to 56.0 grains, no adverse pressure signs, accuracy greatly improved. Powder filled case to slightly below junction neck & shoulder. Easy extraction. Clean burning. Plan to increase load to 56.5 grains. Conditions at 2nd test were 6-8 mph winds at 10 o'clock. I shot 13 rounds & accuracy improved. Next test with 56.6 grains will have velocity measured provided accuracy good & pressures OK. Last 13 round group had last 6 within 1 inch. Plan to work up stats. Temp about .

I would like to know how you come out with the 6.5-06? I own two 6.5-06 rifles for about 30years now, and really like how they shoot.