Staball HD in 264 Win Mag

Mike D Texas

Does anyone have data that they could share for Staball HD with 156 Bergers in a 264WM?

Hodgdon has load data for 7RM with 160 grain bullets but nothing for 264WM. I'm pretty sure I could back off starting load using 7RM data but was hoping someone may have tried this combo.

Mike, i would love to hear your results on this load! I have stuck with the 140-143s using H1000.
This is what Hodgdon shows for 7RM. My 264WM is an Ackley Improved design. H1000 is just a bit too fast. I hit pressure at about 86% case fill and I'm not comfortable going under 90% and I prefer 95% or higher case fill.

Hoping StaBall HD may be slow and dense enough to get the case fill up.
IMG_0605.png

Does anyone have data that they could share for Staball HD with 156 Bergers in a 264WM?

Hodgdon has load data for 7RM with 160 grain bullets but nothing for 264WM. I'm pretty sure I could back off starting load using 7RM data but was hoping someone may have tried this combo.
Below is what I got from Berger Tech support, Staball HD is a tad slower than Retumbo and LRT.

.264 WM 156 Berger.jpg

.264 156 Quickload from Berger.JPG

Last edited:
I would stick with H1000, N160, or N165 due to the COOL heat index of these powders. I have toasted a 264 barrel.

If you want to chase speed, order two barrels at a time, short neck, small hole, HOT has Hades burning powder make for seating the bullet out to the distance to the lands the accuracy node likes after every trip to the rifle range, reminds me of a 220 swift shooting Varget and IMR 4064.

Forgive my ignorance, but what makes the win mag have such low load densities compared to something like a 6.5 RPM, which only has a couple grains less capacity (at most)?
The RPM does fantastic with Staball HD with pretty high load densities according to Hodgdon's online resource, but it shows it being sub par for the 264.

I would stick with H1000, N160, or N165 due to the COOL heat index of these powders. I have toasted a 264 barrel.

If you want to chase speed, order two barrels at a time, short neck, small hole, HOT has Hades burning powder make for seating the bullet out to the distance to the lands the accuracy node likes after every trip to the rifle range, reminds me of a 220 swift shooting Varget and IMR 4064.
Oh I'm fully aware..I probably only have 200-250 rounds left on this barrel. I have 2 more waiting to replace it. My problem has been that I hit pressure too early with H1000, Retumbo and to a lesser extent LRT. H50BMG is showing some promise but RL33 and N570 both are giving the highest velocities (as expected), lowest ES AND most consistent accuracy.

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance, but what makes the win mag have such low load densities compared to something like a 6.5 RPM, which only has a couple grains less capacity (at most)?
The RPM does fantastic with Staball HD with pretty high load densities according to Hodgdon's online resource, but it shows it being sub par for the 264.
Internal ballistics are just funky things and make no sense to me. Just improving the 264WM case while it makes it a real screamer (I have hit 3400 fps with a 156 Berger) it makes it very picky on powder selection. What powders would traditionally work is a non improved 264WM do not work as well in the improved version.

I assumed you had a long pipe. Wicked set up!
my first 28" in med Palma is scheduled to arrive next month, for a 25 Max.

The .264 AI looks fast just standing there.
Looks like it's made to run with the Big Dogs. :)

Hal