SS109 in 223 chambers

Toying with the idea of a 223 for standard 55-60gr usage but would want the ability to shoot the current NATO 62gr milsurp load without hard extraction or pressure problems.

Are there any material differences in chamber size between 5.56Nato and 223?

What twist is required for the 62gr milsurp. I understand that the military 7 twist is to stabilise the much longer tracer rounds which I don't intend to use.

That can be an interesting question, twist rates.
Depends on the quality of the barrel, Savage 9 twist, Winchester 9 twist, and Bushmaster 9 twists all stabilize the 62 grain mil, even the tracers. Remington PSS 9 did not, 700 Varmit would not either.
Good luck on accuracy on the mil ball too, it sucks. We don't get great accuracy with SMG's at 25 yards with it.

Chambers, the stuff is hot ammo. A Saami 223 chamber and the military chamber are close enugh to work OK, but stay away from tight match chambers with tight throats. I bent a bolt retaining pin in one built AR-15 with that ammo and a match grade chamber. Gunsmith told me I was lucky not to have sheared off bolt lugs.

Good Luck.
jw

[ 01-21-2004: Message edited by: jhuskey ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.