custom chambers and sizing dies

American_pride

How much do you gain in accuracy? What is the cost to have this done? Do I send dummy a round to the smith he orders a reamer,cuts the camber and makes a resizing die? I want to start shooting F-Class even if not competitive to learn more about it. Or am I just off my rocker and should stick to my day job?

There are couple ways to get custom dies matched to your chamber.

1. the smith orders a custom resize reamer to match the needs of the chamber and makes you a set. Plan on $275-400

2. Neil Jones, send him the reamer print, he will make a set either 7/8-14 or inline. He uses a Neck size only die first, has you fire 5 cases 2-3 times, send them back to him, and the NS die. He fits a custom FL size insert into the die with shoulder bump bushings and returns it. Cost is $175 for size die and $100 for seater. Time is 30 days.

3. Buy a redding body bump die($25) and send it to JLC Precision (Jim Carstenson) in Iowa along with 10 cases fired 2x. He will take the body bump die, custom hone it to your chamber, fit it with FL bushing top and you have a custom FL bushing size die. Cost is $70 and 2 weeks. His contact info is listed at www.6mmbr.com under tools I believe.

I have done all three, and the JLC conversion is fast and as good as anything.

BH

I'm with Ballistic64, unless you are the kind of person who has to have the fanciest gun on the firing line and can't abide to lose and do not know the meaning of just having some fun, then go buy yourself a Savage F-class rifle. Get a Lee neck die, a Redding body die and a Redding Seater and learn the basics of constructing good bullets. There is a lot more to it than just dies.

Once you progress to the point that you believe that you might actually win then go for a full custom rifle and full custom dies

Bounty hunter answered your question but I think if you need to ask that question then you are not ready for that extreme type of equipment. Thats just my opinion based upon my personality and my ability and my ability is not anything to write home about.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.