Spotting Scope vs higher power rifle scope for backpack hunts

packgoatguy

So recently, I was reading reviews about a particular scope (Leupold VX6 7-42x56) and quite a few of the comments had me intrigued: basically stating that they found the higher zoom capability to be enough that they were leaving their spotting scopes at home on trips when weight mattered....

Is this a new thing? Anyone else here doing this? Essentially foregoing the spotting scope altogether, and just getting a rifle scope that can do "double duty"?

Here is the math: typical "hunting" scope (2x6, 3x9, 4x14, etc) is going to be between 10oz and 22oz. Then a typical 30, 45, or 65 power spotting scope is going to weigh in anywhere from 30 to 80 ounces for the "compact" or lightweight models. Between your hunting scope and a good spotter, that is a lot of pounds on your feet...

Instead, a scope like the Leupold gives one a 42 power zoom level, and only weighs 25 ounces. Or a scope like the "March Optics 10-60x52" only weighs 26 ounces... which would shave off a pound or two compared to the option of carrying a regular rifle scope plus a spotter.

I believe the most common approach is to have a quality set of 8-10 power binos (for wide field of view). Then a quality spotter for picking out critters that the binos quite didn't have the power for. Then a quality rifle scope for taking the shot.

I tend to only use a spotter when I need to make sure a critter is worth making a trip across some vast valley to get in on, or to count tines to verify its legality, or to pick out an ear or hoof sticking out of a stand of sage brush to identify a bedded buck... However, could this be accomplished just as well with a better riflescope?

Pros and Cons?

If all I had for spotting was my rifle scope I know I would do a lot less spotting. I hunt in very thick North Idaho and it has a little bit of everything for terrain at different spots. My binoculars...I could never leave home. but there's a lot of spots where I just have to have a spotting scope . I could never pick things out of the thick stuff, my neck would be way too fatigued using a rifle, although in some spots I suppose it would work. When I am lazy I use a lightweight Burris 15xspotting scope because It can be manipulated easy on the tripod and again it's Lite.

I sat watching an opposing canyon side 400 yards across for bear one day with the spott scop and tripod. First light till dark in may. Straining all day to see something over there. Nuthing but ticks on me until dusk finally deer started apearing for a glimps. Several were there and i never saw them through the scope earlier which was comfortable to use all day. I can imagine the odds of spotting something going way down because being still for a shot is hard enough for a minute let alone holding that position all day.

My thoughts anyway

45x on the small spotter will be rarely useable. If they put the fluorite glass in that spotter then it'll walk all over ANY compact spotter on the market. About 30-35x is about the limit for reasonable use on the small spotters. Mule deer hunting it's almost worth it to pack a big spotter. Especially if you will be spending a lot of time behind glass.

Depends how easy you find what your hunting I suppose. Sometimes it's easier to break out the spotter to confirm what I see in my binos. My spotter has a pretty big objective lens, with that hd glass so, all and all, clarity is just the reason i have it on me. Binos are used continuously.

However, sometimes I don't bring a spotting scope. Sometimes i just don't need it, and binos are good enough in areas I know well, or in good years where there's less pressure. Which ain't often unfortunetly.

I used to have half dozen spotting scopes. Now I don't have any. I use binoculars a lot. When I find something I might kill I get the rifle scope on it to verify. It is a 4 1/2-30X50 set on 4 1/2X unless I want to verify something.

Ive used my rifle scope many times to verify if I wanted to shoot animal.Prefer to have scope but dont pack one as much now that im older and use my 25 x on scope.Was using this technique on a very large buck when my son claimed it was to small for me,I let him have the shot.Was even bigger than I thought

is quality glass in a spotting scope going to be better than quality glass in a rifle scope? Or will the be comparable in clarity, brightness, etc?

Most spotting scopes in general bigger objective,translates to better image.Friend has a German model that it 100 x,wow nice scope but large.For hunting a pack model the small Kowa is what I want,something like 15-40x 54 and 28 oz. flourite glass. My large 84 mm Kowa is great.

It's one thing to use your rifle scope to look at a what you know is a deer and decide if your going to shoot the deer. To use a scope on a rifle to point at something to identify what it is is insane. Breaks basic rule of firearm safety.

Good rule of thumb if you are a hard core trophy hunter type take the spotting scope. If your not to concerned with trophy quality leave it at the truck.

My $800 Cnd fund Nikon camera came factory with a 60 power optic that is crystal clear and with night vision on the lower settings...

I up graded to a 80 power zoom which really brings objects into place,,, plus I can record and take pictures which is a bonus,,, the camera and solar charger weigh less than my telescope which is a plus and I can manually or auto focus along with light enhancing on those dull and flat light days,,, either by lens or threw the built in processor.

Yuppers,,, today's new cameras sure work nice and talk about saving funds...

I use it in the off season for my long range target shooting stuff as it records to tiny bullet holes at 600 meters,,, I'm pretty sure my sporting scope days are loooooong gone after switching to the digital system.

Good luck finding what works.
Life is fun once we find the tools we're looking for.

A spotter will always trump the gun scope because of Zoom power and higher magnification levels you can also View bullet holes clearly at very long distance targets at the shooting range however If you spend most of your time waiting in a deer stand, walking through thick forests, rolling hills, and the like, then you most likely don't need the extra weight or expense, and you definitely aren't going to get much use out of the tripod on which you'll mount it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.