Spotting scope for LRH

The one I'm talking about is this one:

ED82 FIELDSCOPE W/CASE & 25-75X ZOOM EYEPIECE

Might be a little big for packing in hunting. I don't have any of the smaller models instock but can get them. For me, 30 power is just not enough though. Heck, my scope is 22x. I use my 80mm Swaro no matter what kind of hunting I do.

So the Swaro is quite a bit lighter that the Nikon?

I don't know the specs but I doubt the Swaro is much if any lighter. I'm just saying the extra weight of the larger scope is worth it for me.

When I use the scope sitting I just adj it so that it is level w/my eye and look. The angled seems like it would be harder the neck. Something about not looking in the direction you are supposed to be looking just doesn't work for me.

The Nikon ED50 is part number 8320 for straight and 8321 for angled. We have the angled in stock.

20 ounces, heavyweight performance. I'm done testing this scope vs the Lupy Gold Ring HD, and I'll have a full report on the blog soon.

Scott

The angled spotter can be rotated to a perfect viewing postion for any postion that you are in. One can stay behind the rifle and only turn your head to see through the spotter, no need to repostion your entire body.

Groups425Yards005-1.jpg

Correct, assuming the scope in question has a rotating collar. This does make the angled more versatile.

Scott

Which the Nikon does not correct? I am talking about the 82mm ED one

I believe the body is hinged on this model. The tripod mount is in the forward half of the body. There is a knob on the right side in front of the focus ring, which you can loosen, turn the rear half of the body, and retighten.

We sell all Nikon ED spotters at a great price.

Scott

Scott,

I test my Nikon 50 ED against my Zeiss 85 Diascope and Swaro AtS65. In most conditions the little Nikon is difficult to top. Of course the larger lense will have an edge, but the Nikon has enough perfomance with the weight savings.

It's just so hard to use any other scope after using the Nikon 50 becasue of the little cost and heavywieght performance in a small package. It's my go-to optic these days.

I called Bear basin last night and spoke with the guy for a while. He said the Zeiss was noticable better to the distinguished eye. He said at long distances of a mile or more it the a crisper clearer picture. But I haven't tested if my eye can pick that up yet.

I called Bear basin last night and spoke with the guy for a while. He said the Zeiss was noticable better to the distinguished eye. He said at long distances of a mile or more it the a crisper clearer picture. But I haven't tested if my eye can pick that up yet.

"To the distinguished eye" Oooooo what does that mean?

The Zeiss is what, 3x the price? Is it 3x better then the Nikon ED??

Um, no.

At a measured 450 yards, the ED50 picked out a 0.25 inch black spot on a white sign. Not bad for a 50mm objective.

It's only shortcoming is the last 15 minutes of daylight, either dusk or dawn. Other scopes will be brighter. But once the sun is out, the scope shines.

Scott

Well, LOL, I don't know. Bird watchers or photographers I guess.

Zeiss 3x the price??? 1999 versus 1199 on your site? That is 800 more for the "more distinguishable view". At least those are the 2 models I was looking at. ED82 and the Zeiss 85.

With that said I think the ED50 whould be great for some of the things I do, but not all.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.