Spotting scope for LRH

Well, LOL, I don't know. Bird watchers or photographers I guess.

Zeiss 3x the price??? 1999 versus 1199 on your site? That is 800 more for the "more distinguishable view". At least those are the 2 models I was looking at. ED82 and the Zeiss 85.

With that said I think the ED50 whould be great for some of the things I do, but not all.

Gotcha.

I was referring to the ED50.

The Zeiss is still 1.67x the price than the ED82. While I haven't done a direct comparison, the cornell Ornithology rankings hgave last year's model a higher ranking for the 20x image than the Zeiss, but the Zeiss scopred better at 60x.

All bets are off for the new Nikons. I will predict the Zeiss is not 67% better. Value, advantage, Nikon.

Scott

PS - we do better on pricing than the website for LRHers, not much, but every bit helps.

The big scopes like my 85mm Zeiss are range, plains, and atv/pickup scopes. My Nikon 50 ED is a FIELDSCOPE. You pack it, use it and take it in nasty steep or brushy places. It works better than its size would imply and the cost is insubstantial compared to our lovely and heavy Euro optics.

To my distinguished eye it's the best hunting and fieldscope I own because of the price/weight/performance consideration/ratios.

Here's something to ponder. Maybe I'm just a geek this way, but I really like having a reticle in the spotter. Of course I'm often hunting alone and while actually hunting we all want to make our first shot perfect....

But I know many here act more as teams with somebody spotting and some even shoot spotter shots while hunting. Even if not, when practicing on the range it's highly useful. Most "normal hunters" or BR shooters think of spotters only as something with which to judge horns or see holes in paper. But for those of us who like to bang things far away, we all know a good man behind a good spotter can increase our effectiveness greatly and get the second round on target really fast should the first go off course.

There are some new ones on the market now. Scott has the Krugers which look to be compact, tough and affordable. The USO is finally out which is available with both Mil and MOA reticles. It's the only MOA reticle spotter I know of. The old standby Leupold MKIV everybody knows about. I have the Meopta TGA-75 which I like very much. And stepping up even farther in size/glass and price there's Zeiss, which are available with Mildot eyepieces.

Just thought I'd throw that out there to ponder. Like I said, I'm a geek for these things. But I do find having the reticle handy for all sorts of things. In addition to spotting shots it's a good double check on range, you can actually measure horns, etc with it. Anyway, here's a view through the TGA-75 (camera can't capture its full FOV):

DSCN0216s.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.