Which spotting scope

RCMSTER

So, I'm looking on EBay for a new/used spotting scope to upgrade my weaver classic 15-40 x 60. It works fine and is very handy because of its size, I'd like more/better for identifying shot groups at ranges of 200-500 yards. I know I should just spend at least a grand in a real good spotting scope, but that's just not gonna happen. I've found 3 potential scopes I'm leaning on, but would like some better opinions than my own. First one is a new Athlon optics Argos. 20-60 x 85 for $375 delivered free. Next one is a used Fujinon 20-60 x 80 for $600, in excellent to near mint condition. 3rd scope is a Leupold Ventana 20-60 x 80 in excellent condition for $420 plus $20 in shipping. For some reason, I'm thinking I like the Fujinon the best, but the price of the other two are nice as well. Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

Check out Vortex. if you are a Veteran or LE you can get 40% off and have a new spotting scope with life time warranty.
We have a Leupold HD with 40 power. You really have to be steady with over 40 power.
Yes, I'm a veteran. Spent 20+ years in the army, and am now retired from the military. How and where do I get a 40% discount from Vortex.

Yes, I'm a veteran. Spent 20+ years in the army, and am now retired from the military. How and where do I get a 40% discount from Vortex.
Check out Vortex Customer Service and send them your DD-214. Also we buy a lot of Items from Euro Optics in PA. Send them your DD-214 and sign up with an account. Euro Optics will automatically give you Veteran Discounts from all companies that offer the discount when you go to buy something from them.
I bought some Vortex items with a 50% discount from Euro Optics during Holiday specials. The new Razor Gen III HD 6-36x56 for $2,000.00
Also when buying anything from a Retailer/manufacture always call and ask if they give Veteran discounts. A lot of Retailers/Manufactures give the discount but don't advertise it.

I had an older Leupold spotting scope (reasonably cheap Alpine) and turning it above about 25 to 30 power the outside of the viewing area was hazy. I recently bought a Leupold SX-5 Santiam angled and it's useful from the minimum 27 to the maximum 55 power with zero imperfections when looking through it.

Spend the money and get the best you can afford!

I had an older Leupold spotting scope (reasonably cheap Alpine) and turning it above about 25 to 30 power the outside of the viewing area was hazy. I recently bought a Leupold SX-5 Santiam angled and it's useful from the minimum 27 to the maximum 55 power with zero imperfections when looking through it.

Spend the money and get the best you can afford!
Nope. Not spending that much. I can dream about spending that much, but when we're working 4 day work weeks in this wonderful economy, it just isn't a practical thing to do.

Not on your list and I don't have any experience with the ones you have listed. But a few years ago I purchased a Leupold gold ring spotting scope used. Seems like I paid in the $500-$600 mark for it. Don't remember the exact power and other details. It seemed to be a pretty good scope. The reason I don't remember the details is my Son got ahold of it and was really impressed with it. And I haven't seen it since. I do remember my brother has a vortex razor spotter and we had them both set up one day looking at a roster pheasant at close to a half mile away. We both agreed that his was probably a little better but it was very close to a toss up. Good luck with your purchase.

Not on your list and I don't have any experience with the ones you have listed. But a few years ago I purchased a Leupold gold ring spotting scope used. Seems like I paid in the $500-$600 mark for it. Don't remember the exact power and other details. It seemed to be a pretty good scope. The reason I don't remember the details is my Son got ahold of it and was really impressed with it. And I haven't seen it since. I do remember my brother has a vortex razor spotter and we had them both set up one day looking at a roster pheasant at close to a half mile away. We both agreed that his was probably a little better but it was very close to a toss up. Good luck with your purchase.
There's a new bushnell elite on eBay for $700. 20-60 x 85. Retail price is $1400ish. Still new in the box. Not sure why they're offering it at that much of a discount, but dang, it looks to be a really nice scope.

So, I'm looking on EBay for a new/used spotting scope to upgrade my weaver classic 15-40 x 60. It works fine and is very handy because of its size, I'd like more/better for identifying shot groups at ranges of 200-500 yards. I know I should just spend at least a grand in a real good spotting scope, but that's just not gonna happen. I've found 3 potential scopes I'm leaning on, but would like some better opinions than my own. First one is a new Athlon optics Argos. 20-60 x 85 for $375 delivered free. Next one is a used Fujinon 20-60 x 80 for $600, in excellent to near mint condition. 3rd scope is a Leupold Ventana 20-60 x 80 in excellent condition for $420 plus $20 in shipping. For some reason, I'm thinking I like the Fujinon the best, but the price of the other two are nice as well. Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.
Shameless plug but I have a Vortex Viper HD 15-45 angle body in the classifieds right now.

If interested let me know and we will try to make a deal on it.

Do you have a store that you can look at any of these spotters and compare or see if you think they will work.
There's a Sheels about an hour away, and Bass Pro about 1 1/2 hrs away in the opposite direction of Sheels. They may or may not have the ones I'm looking at.

Shameless plug but I have a Vortex Viper HD 15-45 angle body in the classifieds right now.

If interested let me know and we will try to make a deal on it.
I have a 15-40 weaver grand slam now. It's actually got some pretty good glass, but I'm thinking I want to move up to a 60x maximum power.

Recent Posts