Spotting Scope vs higher power rifle scope for backpack hunts

42 power through a 56 mm objective for spotting? No thanks. Also you shouldn't be glassing around with your riflescope. It should be only pointed at things you intend to shoot.

No rifle scope will ever fill the roll of a spotting scope. Beyond glassing for game it's nice to have a spotter backing you up on shots for sensing purposes, wind calling, etc.. if you have someone available. A spotting scope is obviously the best choice for this.

I had a guy looking at me through a scope while on a hunt in Idaho. Scared the crap out of me. Didn't know if I was going to end up in a gun fight or he was just looking at me. Please use a spotting scope. There are lots of good options. I use the Leupold 10-40x54. It stays on the vehicle most of the time but I still pack it when I think I will have a chance to use it.

A mediocre spotting scope is as good as a very good rifle scope. Later today I will post my comparison results.

April 14, 2014 spotting scopes
This morning I took the Kowa 20-60X77 and a Bushnell Spacemaster 12-36X 60 to compare with a Sightron 6-24X42 AO, a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 SF and a Swarovski z5 5-25X62 SF to the shooting range. There was a target at 200 yards with a few .22 caliber bullet holes so I decided to use it. After looking through the Kowa on its lowest setting of 20X I found a bullet hole at 12 o'clock about 2" from the "X" in the red part of the target and decided that would be the "target" detail.

When looking through the Sightron on 24X I just could not get it to resolve the bullet hole no matter how much I adjusted the scope. I could see holes in the white O.K. Then I got out the 6500 and found the hole with it set on 24X. I could not go down even 1X and still see the hole. After fooling with the z5 for a while trying to see in on a lower setting, I finally turned it up to 25X and could see the hole in the red. Thinking I was wasting time, but already had it with me, I took out the Bushnell Spacemaster. I set it on 20X and could easily see the hole at 12 o'clock so I turned it down to 12X. I could still see the hole!

I asked a fellow shooter if he didn't mind would he look through all the optics to see what he saw. He obliged; and even brought a Zeiss 3-15X42. He ended up on the same settings I did. Also he mentioned he just could not resolve the hole with the Sightron. When we looked though his Zeiss we could not see the hole.

Conclusion: Mediocre spotting scopes are definitely better than good rifle scopes for resolving detail.

I have a pretty decent IOR spotting scope, and I've never used it for hunting. For the most part I use my Minox 10x42mm binos for scanning and spotting. Spotted a herd of antelope over 1500 yards away from me this weekend, scanned a canyon just over a mile away. I can see the need for a good spotting scope, but I don't want to carry the extra weight. And spotting with a rifle just isn't an option for me. Breaks a safety rule.

I have a pretty decent IOR spotting scope, and I've never used it for hunting. For the most part I use my Minox 10x42mm binos for scanning and spotting. Spotted a herd of antelope over 1500 yards away from me this weekend, scanned a canyon just over a mile away. I can see the need for a good spotting scope, but I don't want to carry the extra weight. And spotting with a rifle just isn't an option for me. Breaks a safety rule.

How do you find your game in the rifle scope after you found it with your binos?

Well I look through the scope. But only after scanning the area with my binos. If I see that it's unsafe then I don't point my rifle in that direction.

Using your rifle scope to spot is a horrible idea. On 2 occasions I've found people looking at me thru their rifle scopes & there are few things that will send shivers down your spine as quick as that! One guy kept staring at me until I dropped my binos and and looked at him with my rifle scope. I saw him him get rattled at that. He dropped the rifle right away and waved, clearly apologic when he realized what he'd been doing. A decent spotting scope is always a plus but when weight or room is at a premium, decent bino's can take it's place. It's also a lot less eye strain using bino's over a rifle scope.
Cheers,
crkckr

I get tired of these rifle safety lessons. NO one here mentioned using a spotting scope instead of a spotting scope for searching the countryside.

It seems you find game with the binos and somehow your scope has a heat seeker guidance system so nothing is ever displayed in your scope except the game animal. And I suppose you have never scoped an animal and decided, because of better glass, to pass on it.

I think it depends on the power of the observer. A trained observer can see a lot more through a spotting scope I believe. If you are not as well trained then a pair of binoculars will do fine as you will not likely be able to spot a tiny detail very far away. That has been my experience, however if you use binoculars consider using a tripod to stabilize the view as it will improve clarity and decrease fatigue.

In Oregon it is a felony to recklessly point a firearm at another person. You get a felony you can see how far you can shoot a bow. Won't need either a scope or spotting scope at that range.

Also I catch you pointing a gun at me and self defense comes into play.

Even If your looking at an animal you are not sure you want to shoot you are still breaking the rule of don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot. Bad idea to use a scope as a spotter.

I get tired of these rifle safety lessons. NO one here mentioned using a spotting scope instead of a spotting scope for searching the countryside.

Maybe we read the op post differently. When he said,

I tend to only use a spotter when I need to make sure a critter is worth making a trip across some vast valley to get in on, or to count tines to verify its legality, or to pick out an ear or hoof sticking out of a stand of sage brush to identify a bedded buck... However, could this be accomplished just as well with a better riflescope?

Pros and Cons?

I take trying to pick an ear or hoof sticking out of sagebrush to "mention" using a scope to search the country side.

So quite being so self-righteous about me being self-righteous . ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.