Spot & Stalk bear

Guy M

We did real well, spot and stalk hunting the past few days here in Washington State.

My 19 year old son tagged this great chocolate with Grandpa's 1917 .30-06. Despite a 165 gr Nosler solid base bullet through the lungs, it wanted to run into the thick stuff, so we dropped it with a couple of shots from a 7mm mag and my .375 H&H.
023-1.jpg

The next morning I dropped this boar at 306 yards with the big Ruger, putting a 260 gr Accubond through him. The "smack" from that bullet hitting the bear was clearly audible to all of us. I lost the bear in recoil, but my friend Chris yelled "You hammered him." The bear is really a dark chocolate, but looks black in this photo:
040.jpg

Chris dropped the black bear at nearly 500 yards with a good shot from his 7mm Rem mag, then it tumbled down into a thickly vegetated ravine. He tracked down the bear and finished things at very close range. His was taken within a few minutes of mine. Here's all three, my son's is on the left, mine in the center, and Chris' glossy black bear is on the right.
051.jpg

I really wanted to pull off this father-son hunt. An up and coming young guide here in Washington, Shane, helped make it happen. My son and I are pretty good at mule deer hunting, but I knew next to nothing about bear hunting, and really nothing about how to properly skin one for a rug. Great hunting with the young man, he knew that my priority was getting my son on a bear, and he made that happen the first day of the hunt!

Regards, Guy

Congrats!!!
Very nice bears. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun in the hunt. The type of hunts you and your son will always remember. Thanks for sharing.
Any more pics of the bears???

Congrats, Guy! That's great! I'm trying to bag my first one this year, but the berries up high on the westside seem quite a bit behind this year. Got a few longrange spots picked out, just need the berries to cooperate in those spots... What did you learn about bear hunting?

3 very nice bears!!!
It looks like one or both of those chocolate bears would go high17's to 18's. I know min for Oregon book is 18 1/8 inches. Washington may be simmilar. They look big enough in the pics. Great bears, great story, and I loved the pics. Congrats to all!! Bear hunting may be my favorite just because when the action starts, ITS ON! While elk and deer are fun as well, bears bring a whole different level of excitement to the table. You did well.

I agree! Bear hunting gets into your blood.

Congrats on tagging a bunch of great black bears!

Congrats! Great pictures!

I'm headed out this coming Saturday to do some spot and stalk with the 'ol smoke pole. I don't think my shots will be quite as long as yours though! Hope I am as fortunate as you guys were.

Thanks guys!

Got the skulls back yesterday - boiled clean. They both score 18 2/8, which is a pretty good score for around here. I thought it looked like they had good sized noggins!
006.jpg

A few more photos from the hunt:
026-1.jpg

020.jpg

038.jpg

And my favorite:
028.jpg

It was a great father-son hunt, with excellent success. I hope it's a good start to a good season! We're both looking forward to mule deer in a few weeks. Mule deer hunting is our real passion, but this bear hunt was a hoot and we'll be doing it again.

Regards, Guy

Where abouts were you guys at? not specifics just a general area. im looking to do some hunting next year when i get out of the navy and want to fugure out some general places to start. been gone for 5 years.

Guy, great hunt and pictures. You and your son are to be congratulated. Sorry about the debris that blew in at the end there for a while but I tidied it up a bit to keep a great thread the way it should be.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.