Advice- Spring Spot and Stalk Bear Hunt

btsmd

Looking for advice/suggestions on a spot and stalk spring bear hunt. Open to any location. Would be great to combine with a wolf hunt. Appreciate any info.

TJAY, just a heads up. I finally heard back from shepp ranch, they are supposedly going through a sale or ownership transfer and are not conducting hunts this year.

If guided is in the plan I'd go to BC, bear density is much higher. Either the Mountain Hunter Guides organization has a list, or if you do Facebook Bear Hunting Classifieds will get you plenty of names.

We've killed bears every year spot and stalk for the last 10 yrs. Never used a guide, just put some miles on the boots. I agree, pick a state with bears and have at it. They are crazy easy to kill. We have killed two with 243s over 300 yards and last year we killed one with a 270wsm at 400 and another with a 7mm at 78 yds. Fun stuff...

Last edited:
Not sure about wolves in other states, but in Montana the season isn't open during spring bear.

That said, what Catahoula said is good info. I would only add, get to a good glassing and learn to yourself to have the patience and discipline and confidence in your area to sit and glass for long spells. You'll find way more bruins via glassing than you ever would by hiking!

Finding bruins is about glassing, being in shape, and good timing on the season! I would do all I could to plan your hunt (if going to Montana) between the 13th of May and the 21st of May.....best of luck to you

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.