Splitting hairs 6.8

I personally haven't reloaded in years due to having kids and finding the time. I was a huge fan of the 308, 270, 300WM and I reloaded for all three. I had a lot of luck with all three but then the 6.5CM came out. I mainly used my 308 for hunting and the Creedmoor quickly replaced that role and then bled into my long range life. I felt the Creedmoor was a great round that I could use efficiently in target as well as hunting without having to reload so that was my go to for years until 2018 when the PRC came out which promised that extra distance on game. I know, most people don't eat the 6.5 apple but I did and I haven't looked back once. I'm able to get very consistent results on game and targets which I've verified at different yardages and I'm very impressed with the accuracy and consistency. I've taken medium sized game out past 800 with zero issues. I plan to utilize this cartridge for elk next year to see where it stands. I've verified multiple hits on target from 100 yards out to 1673 yards with factory ammo and I really can't see why I would need to reload again. I use the Sig 2400 BDS range finder to get my distance and firing solution, dial my minutes on my NF ATACR 4-16x50 and hold off for windage. I can say I haven't been let down once. I consistently get hits on target over and over again with this system and it works for me. The 6.8 western to me answers a few prayers to some by getting that extra bullet weight and higher BC for the 270 crowd but I really think the efficiency and trajectory will fall short of the 6.5PRC. According to my the charts I have in Ballistics AE, as well as my range finder with the Applied Ballistics Software built in and all verified hits on target, I'm pushing a 143ELD-X at 3180FPS which still has over 1000ft/lbs at 1000 yards. I'm very comfortable with that shot on medium sized game and I don't think the 6.8 western will top it. I cannot for the life of me understand how my PRC is pushing the pill that fast but no matter how many times I verify at different distances, I'm on target consistently. I have never actually run it through my chronograph but in my opinion the charts and verified yardages are more accurate anyway.
That's cool you're having those results. I really like my creed but by the time I had a load I was confident in to stretch out I was a little bored with it. By the time I felt like getting back to it the shortage was fully erect and I decided to save my components for the next thing. I'm getting a second 7mm barrel for it but will switch the 6.5 back in sometimes for sure. It's a nice round, I don't get how there are still grown men pleasuring themselves by insulting it. The best part is it pushed ballistics development from the 50's to the modern era in just a few years, it's really amazing. Based on what I've seen from a few guys filmed shooting elk with the PRC just be really picky about your placement and your pills. As in you might want different bullets for close/med/far. You probably know that already, It's just fresh on my mind. The bullet that does well on them out far is the 147 ELD, but in close that would disintegrate. Looks like Federal's making terminal ascent in PRC, but 130 seems a little bit light. Accubonds should be around by next season, and they have been beyond devastating on harder targets like bear in the 6.5 RPM, same class as the PRC.

I'm almost done ordering parts for a 7 saum savage build and I'm on the opposite side of the fence as you thinking the same thing: the western looks great, and competition is good for everyone, but it's no game-changer. Who knows, I might get one when the saum barrel wears out.

I understand what they were going for here, and I am sure it is a great cartridge. That being said, I can't see it surviving with the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC in play. The reality is that these three cartridges sort of play in the same sandbox, and for a number of reasons I cannot see the the 6.5 Western kicking those two out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.