cross hairs and magnification

casilva43

I have a Mark IV 6.5 X 20 scope. When I adjust the maginification no the scope the crosshairs are also magnified. Is this a positive attribute. What power should the scope be in for judging distance? What power should the scope be in when taking a longer distance shot?

Sounds to me like your Mark 4 is a Front Focal Plane design. You can use your reticle to range at any magnification. Use whatever power you feel most comfortable with to make your shot.

My opinion only. If you are going to use your reticle for anything besides just shooting with the center crosshair then yes, I think a front focal plane (FFP) is better. You can range or use the reticle for holdovers at any power range and the reticle subtentions stay the same and the math and numbers stay the same. Not true with a SFP scope. So the FFP reticle is faster easier and reduces the potential for error.

Like you mentioned the reticle grows as the magnification is increased. Basically it is staying the same size in relation to the target as you increase or decrease power. With a SFP scope the target would increase in size in relation to the target as the power is increased.

The only real concern I would say to look out for with an FFP reticle is to make sure the reticle isn't too thick for the targets you intend on acquiring. With some of the older scopes this can be a problem. But mostly for big game it isn't. And most of today's FFP scopes have nice, thin reticles.

HTH,

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.