Scope Magnification

Cruizin

I have a 7mm WSM and love it. Savage action, McGowan barrel, Stockade stock. Needs a Nightforce though. I was thinking 3.5x15x56 or would you go with the 5.5x22x56.

Lets hear your input.

Thanks

Heres a pick. It has a 2.5x12.5 clearidge on it now. I kind of like the idea of a 3.5x15x56 for low light deer hunting.

Untitled.jpg

Id go with the 5.5x22x56 also, just make sure you can get a good cheek weld with your scope mounted that high. Good Luck

If you compare the two, I bet that the 15x on the 5.5-22 will be brighter than the 3.5-15. Simply because the 15x is toward the middle of the power range and the 15x on the smaller scope is at the top of the power range. Maybe someone can chime in and agree or disagree on this theory.

Tank

Just to let you all know I actually decided on the 3.5x15x56. After shooting this clearidge 2.5x12.5x40 I was easily hitting targets out to 1200yrds so I think the 3.5x15x56 will be a good hunting setup.

Just to let you all know I actually decided on the 3.5x15x56. After shooting this clearidge 2.5x12.5x40 I was easily hitting targets out to 1200yrds so I think the 3.5x15x56 will be a good hunting setup.

I like the 3.5X15 better than the 5.5X22 as a hunting scope unless you are shooting past 1000 yards and then the extra magnification helps a bit

unless it is a dedicated long range rig (exclusively) I would go with the 3.5-15. I have a 4-14 Mark 4 and love it, If anything I would go less magnifacation ( i never shoot past 1K). I think you made the right choice.

i HAVE 8.5-32X56 nxs and I shoot all the time at 22x. Used extra magnification just for checking the size of the trophy, and then back to 22x and ...BANG... DIRT.
I have it before 16x fixed scope but sold it for more magnification, after I was so close to shoot few times a wrong animal (doe but was a buck with small horns behind the ears).
I take my time ALL THE TIME TO IDENTIFY THE target, but sometimes, due to pour magnification, light condition, you can easy misread at lower power.
Just from my personal experience.
Last year my buddy used my rifle 3 times to check the trophy deer antlers, because his scope magnif it was just 16x max.
When you are hauling 18lb rifle 6-8km / day, 3-4 day hunting trip in deep snow, mountain terrain, having binos, rangefinder, personal items, every extra lb counts. So we start looking to other options to cut some extra weight and just having 22x or 32x max power will help a lot.
We NEVER SCOPE someting with the rifle.. WE USED BINOCULARS TO IDENTIFY THE GAME AND THEN BEFORE PREPARING FOR THE SHOT WE crank the magnification to max power to double check befor pressing the trriger.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.