Speeding up my reloading

twintips16

I'm looking to speed up my loading times. I wad thinking of getting a charge master or similar. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which one world better?

I would be using it to half a grain less then charge, then dumping it on my scale and trickling the last grain or so. So I don't have to break the back if there is a cheaper model that will get me close.

Also might use it for pistol abs just dump directly.

If I am reading right, you are looking to dispense powder to a half grain below charge weight, and then trickle to exact weight on a beam scale? If this is indeed the case a typical powder throw should work fine. Pretty much all of the major manufacturers make them and they are $80 give or take. I use one as described above for precision rifle, and also use one on a progressive press to meter directly (no seperate weigh/trickle) for pistol and .223. Works well.

Most of the high $ auto dispensers are made to do the trickling for you, I believe. I do not use one, but based on other posts in this forum I am confident you will get opinions!

I love my ChargeMaster 1500. Makes loading a fairly quick and easy process. Granted, mine doesn't drop an exact charge but maybe 1/2 the time, it still is easily manipulated, and takes the longest part out of the equation.

If I am reading right, you are looking to dispense powder to a half grain below charge weight, and then trickle to exact weight on a beam scale? If this is indeed the case a typical powder throw should work fine. Pretty much all of the major manufacturers make them and they are $80 give or take. I use one as described above for precision rifle, and also use one on a progressive press to meter directly (no seperate weigh/trickle) for pistol and .223. Works well.

Most of the high $ auto dispensers are made to do the trickling for you, I believe. I do not use one, but based on other posts in this forum I am confident you will get opinions!

Thats more or less the intent. I have as powder throw but be only needed with it once. Then I was mostly reloading imr and couldn't get it to run smoothly.

I use the hornady electric scale. My neighbor has a charge master and after reloading at my house he is always borrowing the hornady. It will throw 2 charges and a partial for every one that the rcbs trows.

I have a charge master and a Harrels powder measure and find with a good measure I am faster
than with my Charge Master. Sometimes it takes a long time to trickle the exact weight and it will error often and you have to dump it and start all over.

I also have an Ohaus powder measure that is over 30 years old and is very accurate.

If you are going to trickle every load, the powder measures are faster in my opinion.

The powder measures are definitely faster when loading range ammo (Just to shoot)
and don,t need to trickle.

I use to try to speed up my process but the chance of a mistake is greater so I take my time and
find I produce better ammo.

J E CUSTOM

I really like my Hornady Auto Charge.The way I've found to help prevent overcharges is,make sure it is on a level surface.If you continue to have problems,adjust the speed.If that doesn't help,add a sheet or two of paper under the two legs on the dispense end.This will usually eliminate the overcharges.Once you get her set up,you can really load up the cases fast.

ive got both a pact and a lyman dispensor. both work fine. I like the pact a little better but mostly because it was my first and im better at operating it. Yes you might be just as fast or faster with a good measure and a scale and trickling the last bit in but the time savings with a dispensor comes in that while your dispensing the charge you can be seating the bullet in the one you just did. Dont let anyone tell you they dont save time. Now if you are just going to charge a case block full of cases a measure might be quicker. But why would you even want to do it that way.

one more thing as to them not giving consistant charges. Mine give charges plus or miuns a .1 of a grain and thats plenty consistant enough for even accuracy work for an anal person. Once in maybe 20 charges you get one that is off and have to dump it back but that sure doenst make it a deal breaker.

I love the chargemaster x3 faster than thrower/beam/trickle....occasionalaly throws over but just use the little brush ( included) and pull out the tenth grain and your good to go.

How fast are you at present??? I can dump trickle 50 rounds and seat the pills in a half hour including powder measure set up and seating die re-set. I just did 150 rounds 7 stw a couple of nights ago and 150 rounds was an hour and 20 minutes. I don't think I want to be much faster than that.

I did two 50 round batches this weekend and it took me about 30-35 min to scoop, trickle, and dump them.

I say scoop because i have an old lyman scoop set that have different volumes of scoops. Just find the one close and away i went. It worked really good this weekend for my .220. I found a scoop that was .3 grains away from my charge weight.

The problem is my magnums. They didn't have a scoop big enough and so i had to find two that would work together. At the end of the night my neck is sore, my table has remnants of powder from "spooning" it in, and it just wasn't relaxing....

Those 100 cases sat on my bench sized and prepped for almost 10 days. Not that i didn't have time to reload them..... Just because i wasn't looking forward to throwing the charges. I am hoping to make it a little easier. IF i don't save time but its easier then that is what im really would like.

Has anyone used the new Lyman gen 5?

Likes or dislikes????

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.