want to upgrade my reloading process

Jimm

Hello , extra dense here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Just wondering what the hair measuring my old brass/loads for bushings (for redding comp bushing dies)has to to do with the new brass,new bullets,and then new dies as far as ordering the correct size bushings . Should'nt I load my new(Lapua) brass with my new bullets (220smks) ,and here s the rub , is this supposed to happen with my old rcbs full length dies? Dang! it's tough to be old annnnd! stupid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Jim

is this what you are asking?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
The proper bushing size can be easily determined by measuring the outside neck diameter of your loaded cartridges with a precision micrometer. From this measurement, subtract .002" to .003". This allows for approximately .001" brass spring back after sizing and will result in a proper press fit for the bullet of .001" to .002".. example, 243 Ai fired case measures .273" sized case measures .2715" case with bullet seated measures .2725" bullet grip is .001" order a couple bushings around the size or bullet grip you are looking for.
Dave

Thanks for your reply Dave, your answer is the part I'm having trouble with. My standard .243 measures .2725 loaded using standard RCBS full length sizer/seater and win brass.I have a .243 AI coming and will be using new Lapua brass and redding comp bushing dies/seater.I also planned on getting three bushings a thou apart. What I'm questioning is the difference in brass and dies and what the round well measure with the new ones.If they will be the same then why do the catalogs recommend miking loaded rounds in order to figure what bushings to buy? Seems they would just list the sizes of the various loaded rounds and people could choose the bushings according to the amount of grip they want to try.I'm sure I'm making this more difficult than necessary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif,just trying to be sure my understanding is as complete as possible.Thanks again, Jim

Hi Jimm,
Dont do anything untill you know your chamber neck dimension, its quit possible that your 243 AI might have a tighter spec neck. A bit of neck turning might in order.
The other thing is that brass does not spring back reliably in other words its a variable and dos'nt always do what it is supposed to do.
I have a .333 neck bushing for my 300WSM which i neck turned to .335 for a 75% clean up. On my first loading the .333 sized .333, spot on. On the first re-load after initial firing the .333 necked the brass down to .330, so i went out and bought a .335 bushing which sizes to .3335!
I checked the bushings with small hole gauges and they measured what they said on the label.

Choose the search option and look for my reply to the thread, "sizing 6mm to .22" this may be help you a bit more or confuse you EVEN MORE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Aha! Thank you Ian, This is what I've getting at! So, I'll just twiddle my thumbs til I get my rifle back with appropiate info. Thanks again , Jim

edit: just so no one else will be as confused as me I must note that I have two rifles being built (.243AI and .300 winmag) so, I mix them up sometimes ,I beg your pardon, Oh yeah ! dont hate me either cause I' m gonna have to work harder /longer to pay for all that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.