"Upping my game" Reloading Question

savage1756

"Upping my Game" Questions.....First, I have been reloading a long time and have done extremely well in the accuracy Dept. with standard Dies. My .308 project is taking me to a new level in which I think (personal opinion) I should go to "match grade" dies or neck turning, or other magic to tweak out that last little bit of accuracy. Its not a bench rest rifle but I am considering going with a chassis system, muzzle break, and of course squeaking out a little better ammo. My question then is what brand of dies would fit my needs and why? If I neck turn how does that affect the previous question when considering neck sizing? The rifle is a Savage M10 .308 factory heavy bbl. with accutrigger. I like the looks of the MDT LSS-XL and leaning toward that. Using RCBS FL Dies, Hornady 168 Gr. BTHP match, and Federal Gold Medal primers I'm currently 1/2 MOA on a load with IMR-4350 and the tupperware stock, but I am experimenting with other powders for better velocity.

There is no "magic tweak" to accuracy. Its al about experimentation. Try one change at a time i.e., up or down powder changes, up or down OAL's, neck trimming and turning, etc. There are many good dies, and custom dies. If shooting in competition, you will need the whole 9 yards to stay in the game i.e., neck turning, meplat trimming, bullet sorting, good front and rear rests, etc. The list can go on and on.

If you factory cut savage is truly shooting 1/2 inch groups you've already found the secret load....bout' the only thing you could try is a straight line bullet seated..

Get a good chronograph. It will let you know why IMR 4350 is the wrong powder for you. Then get some Varget.

You are doing great now with what you have. You could spend a bunch on new reloading gear and get no better results. I'd suggest a Lee collet resizer to use every other sizing or so to save some wear and tear on your brass. Maybe try some Sierra or Berger match bullets if you haven't already.

I have a CED Chronograph but haven't used it yet. I had been using a CHRONY prvious to that. The 1/2 MOA is factual but it was a day when the planets were aligned and God showed favor on me!. I use sandbags to target shoot. I have gone thru one round of testing with IMR 8208 XBR, Varget, and IMR 4895 but wasn't happy with results and I know I need to review again as while testing I was hurried a bit. Not how I like to test loads. My goal is to shoot 1000 yards and enjoy it as well has try some long range groundhogs and whitetail. I guess you can say I'm lucky to have it group like that using standard reloading procedures but I have done the same for a custom .22-250 and a factory .243 with similar results. In fact I just bought a TC Dimension in .243 and sighted it in for deer season using my .243 handloads and the darn thing grouped under the size of a dime ( I didn't measure it yet) at 100 yards and I wasn't even trying to target shoot just to get it ready for hunting. Doesn't always happen that way but again I was fortunate. All my rifles are glass bedded, free floating barrels, tiggers worked on, screws and bolts torqued and reloads all have beed FL sized, cleaned and burred, charges weighed one at a time on a beam scale. I do appreciate all the feedback I'm getting and hope to use it wisely.

4350 is too slow for the 308. It will give you a huge ES and poor results at long range. Varget is your best bet. It works like a charm if you tune the load correctly.

"Upping my Game" Questions.....First, I have been reloading a long time and have done extremely well in the accuracy Dept. with standard Dies. My .308 project is taking me to a new level in which I think (personal opinion) I should go to "match grade" dies or neck turning, or other magic to tweak out that last little bit of accuracy. Its not a bench rest rifle but I am considering going with a chassis system, muzzle break, and of course squeaking out a little better ammo. My question then is what brand of dies would fit my needs and why? If I neck turn how does that affect the previous question when considering neck sizing? The rifle is a Savage M10 .308 factory heavy bbl. with accutrigger. I like the looks of the MDT LSS-XL and leaning toward that. Using RCBS FL Dies, Hornady 168 Gr. BTHP match, and Federal Gold Medal primers I'm currently 1/2 MOA on a load with IMR-4350 and the tupperware stock, but I am experimenting with other powders for better velocity.

half inch 5 shot 100 yrd groups? Is that consistently?

you can quit right there.

You'll need to move up to at least 175 Gr match bullets to make it to 1000 yards with your 308. The only other option I can think of would be the 155 palma bullets and move them very fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.