Reloading question

LexRick

I use Lee dies for reloading my 7mm stw. Does using Redding dies improve accuracy that much or is it more of a consistency improvement of making better rounds. I have read a lot of posts where most freeloaders use redding dies and was wondering why.

I use Lee dies for reloading my 7mm stw. Does using Redding dies improve accuracy that much or is it more of a consistency improvement of making better rounds. I have read a lot of posts where most freeloaders use redding dies and was wondering why.
Well, I use Redding dies and I'm not a Freeloader but my mother-in-law says I am because my wife makes more money than I do. Anyway, I do like using the Redding type-s bushing dies for some of my rifles (6.5 x 47 and 6.5-284) but for my other rifles standard RCBS dies have been more than adequate. I'll even go so far to say that with some brass, the RCBS dies produce really consistent neck tension but just a bit more runout than the Redding dies.

Hey, you are not alone. Wife and I worked at a place going down. We took our checks to the bank. The lady said, "There's only enough money to cash one of these." Being a bright old man I said, with out hesitation, "Cash hers. It's bigger."

Someone once asked me, "Doesn't it bother you your wife makes more than you?" "All the way to the bank," I told him.

I think Redding is more accurate. They tend to keep my stuff more consistent with better tolerances over any Lee stuff I have ever used. I think it is worth the upgrade. I have moved onto Whidden dies though

I use Redding full length dies that are honed to the neck diameter I want. All the brass comes out of the dies with zero runout on the necks. Now is when I become a real world novice. All my loaded rounds show at least .001" up to .006" runout at the bullet tip. I made a tool I use on the neck to correct them all so they are under .003". I guess that makes me an advanced novice.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.