Reloading question

Broken Wheels

So I am going to sound like the rookie that I am but I reloaded some 300WSM loads the other day, did 20 of Barnes and 20 of Nosler, same Federal brass, same primers, different powders but same OAL and all around dimensions. Tried them in the Tikka magazine and they of course fit fine but when I went to try and chamber some rounds the Barnes reloads wouldn't but yet the Nosler reloads did easily???? Please advise on what to check, how to check as this is something new to me. Thank you gentlemen and I value all your opinions.

I would imagine the Barnes bullets are bit longer than the Noslers, and if your rifle has a short throat, they might be getting jammed into the rifling.

Have you checked your chamber depth? For every different brand of bullet I reload, I like to know how deep to seat the bullet to where it just touches the rifling then I can seat deeper from there to get the jump I want.

If you can get your hands on an OAL gauge, that is the easiest way to check, otherwise do the following:

Take a fired casing (not sized - no primer) and just barely dent one side of the case mouth to where a bullet will stay put but can still be moved with a little force. Insert the bullet into the case mouth just enough to hold it, blacken the bullet from the case to the top of the bullet with a Sharpie, carefully insert the round into the chamber, slowly close and then open the bolt.
The dented case should leave a scratch on the bullet. Reseat the bullet to where the scratch stops and measure the round. That should be your cartridge overall length to the rifling for that bullet. I would try it 4-5 times to get a consistent measurement.

I shoot TSX's in 2 rifles and they like a pretty good jump. Reloads for both rifles are seated with a 0.100'' jump to the rifling, both with good groups and velocity.

Thanks for the feedback and the sharpy trick I was shown years ago but failed to recall. Will give er a try and again thanks for your help.

Take you a case and full length size it. Take a cutting tool of some sort, hack saw, dremmil tool etc. and cut you a slot in the case neck from mouth down to the start of the shoulder. Clean up any burrs from the case. Run it back through your FL sizer. Now take your bullet of choice and just start it into the case by hand. Place it in the chamber of your rifle and close the bolt. When the ogive of the bullet hits the lands in the bore it will push the bullet deeper into the case. Ease the bolt open and ease the case out. Measure the COAL. This is the MAX to your lands measurement for that particular make of bullet. It is different for other makes of bullets. You can pull this bullet out of the case by hand and use it to load. Now you can adjust your seating depth accurately by seating the bullet deeper and farther away from the lands to see where you find your best accuracy. I would always suggest that you load a bullet at least 10 thousands away from the lands on a hunting round. The reason is that "Murphy" will show up at the worst of times. A bullet could creep forward under recoil in the magazine etc. If you chamber a round with the bullet too long and then go to unload the rifle it could stick the bullet in the bore and dump the powder all down in your action. That is not a good thing to happen while out on a hunting trip. :rolleyes: Don't ask how I know this.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.