reloading question

Remtac

i just ordered the redding big boss2 press with typ S full bushing die and competition seating die now when i read these instructions from the redding website for headspacing ( To do so, raise the ram of your reloading press to the top position with the shellholder installed. Take your full length sizing die and screw it down to the point where it's touching the shellholder. Now back off the die by about a half turn.)

my question is what is a half turn ? to me a full turn is 360 degree and a half turn would be 180 degree with the die , is this correct ?

Which is too much. You should instead measure the shoulder on your fired case and adjust the die to bump it .002", that's gonna be zero to minus 1/50th of a turn.

I've used the Redding instant indicator before and found it difficult at best. Most people use the Hornady or Sinclair gauge set below. The Hornady and Sinclair are very similar. The Sinclair may be a little higher quality. I use the Hornady and am very happy with it.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Reloading :: Metallic Reloading :: Tools & Gauges :: Lock-N-Load Gauges-Formerly Stoney Point :: Headspace Gauges :: Headspace Gauge Kits

That's what I do. Very easy to duplicate. I discovered the headspace varies from case to case so I set it barely long and fastidiously check everyone. If it is barely long I make no change just run it through the die again and usually it comes out right. I want them within .001" or .002" of the fired case.

Also I no longer use the expander if I can get by without it.

Hint. Keep the one shellholder with one set of dies. Shell holders will often vary in heighth throwing off your bumps.

They are cheap and easy way to keep from messing up by using one shell holder with that one set of dies.

Hello,
I'm new to reloading so forgive me for a dumb question or if this was asked, covered before.
I purchased some once fired factory rifle brass (300 RUM) and wanted to know what if anything different I need to do to prep it/resize it? I was told from someone who reloads that it's a pain in the ***** due to the factory crimp/last part of brass contact to the bullet, however I have not heard or seen this from any other forum?
Can I just resize it as normal?
Do I have to cut that crimped end?
Thanks,
Brad

Is that my only option? Is that the only sizing/type of die that will work? I guess what I'm asking is will my redding master hunter resize die work? Can I trim the case past that crimp? Or will this cause the brass to be to short t reload?
Thx.

You should not trim that much off the neck. Just get the Lee die. It compresses the neck around a mandrel using a cylindrical collet. It will uniform the inside of the neck. Another way would be to get a conical expander and flare out the case mouth to move the crimp outward, then size as usual. In either case you'll need to get either a collet neck die or a conical expander.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.