South Africa Plains Game in 2024

In the East Cape there are a number of good operators. For a first time and want it to all go smoothly I'd suggest KMG Hunting Safaris. I have seen over a dozen hunt reports of clients taken out. Generally larger properties that should be self sustaining herds. He would be a great choice.
Bruce

I went to the Limpopo province in 2013. All concessions (land to hunt) were high fence, but extremely large, some many thousands of acres. I understand that is a law in the area, and allows the game to be managed more accurately.

Safari hunting was a very different experience to an old DIY deer hunter. Very little walking until it was time for the final stalk.

As mentioned, Africahunting.com is an excellent recourse, I'd recommend spending some time on that forum.

As far as rifle, most PHs will have a rifle for you to 'rent'

If you're taking your own, just make sure it's something you're comfortable with. I've heard great reports with the 6.5 Creed with 143 gr ELDX, and 85 gr Hammer bullets. I took a 300 WSM with 180 TSX and had great performance on plains game. If I were going again I would take a 300 WSM with 166 Hammers, or 6.5 PRC with 124 Hammers.

An error I made was getting excited about all the wonderful exotic game that I harvested and wanting to crate up everything for taxidermy. The cost totaled more than 3x the cost of the trip when considering all the process involved. I'd recommend picking just a couple exemplary items to crate up and ship back, if you do at all.

Best of luck on your hunt, don't go in with expectations, take the experience as it is, you'll have a wonderful time.

I agree. Port Elizabeth is where the hunt is that I'm most interested in. A huge property with a fence. Some 100K acres. The guy from Cabelas adventures was very helpful
Hello I recommend Ballantyne trophy safaris. I've been only once but have a friend who has made 3 trips there and we both will making more. I can put you in touch with him he loves to talk about Africa! They are located in the easter n Cape area of South Africa. The owners are great people. I could talk for hours about them! I visited with him when he was here for the hunting shows this past year he left some brochures etc. with me which I could send you if wanted My finger is tired so here's my cell phone 352-214-3337 , home 352-493_2101. If calling today use the cell number Tribb

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902-155430.png
    Screenshot_20230902-155430.png
    149 KB · Views: 22
Hello I recommend Ballantyne trophy safaris. I've been only once but have a friend who has made 3 trips there and we both will making more. I can put you in touch with him he loves to talk about Africa! They are located in the easter n Cape area of South Africa. The owners are great people. I could talk for hours about them! I visited with him when he was here for the hunting shows this past year he left some brochures etc. with me which I could send you if wanted My finger is tired so here's my cell phone 352-214-3337 , home 352-493_2101. If calling today use the cell number Tribb
Thanks for the info. I've pretty much signed on already. Wait till Tuesday to finish the deal. The eastern cape area is where they hunt. Really excited.

Need some advice and recommendations. Nothing dangerous, just plains game; kudu, wildebeest, warthog, Blesbuck, Impala etc. Plan to fly to Johannesburg next June. Too far from home to get scammed.
I'll be 66 then and really not interested in walking 10 miles a day

Thanks in advance.
Check out Hunters Hill Safaris. I went at age 64 in 2019. Great time, good food, typically ate what you shot, great accommodations and most of the travel is by truck, not foot. Travel by truck to scout, then a few hundred yards on foot typically. Shots were all under 200. I took 8 animals. The Blesbuck was trophy quality. Pricing was very competitive. If you want more info, contact me.It's one of the largest reserves in South Africa. I never ran into or saw another hunting party.1d1297f9-f031-4ff0-afa9-b8ffc8c7d832(2).JPG8d019527-a924-45b3-819c-17d8f35b5d3c(6).JPG242cef99-a761-4ca0-bfa9-2ff2da829569(4).JPG17202036-0d4d-4295-8d30-cfcfc39d0629(3).JPG

Last edited:
I had a VERY poor report a couple of yrs ago from someone using Cabelas for booking...... They are selling a product that they may know very little about. For this kind of trip you need to take decide who is best for you. If you do decide to pursue this course of action get some references from this and last year. Then when you call them ask how many times they have been to Africa. Weed out the first timers. They have no baseline to compare a hunt there to. Really. Almost without exception first timers think its great when in fact it may just be mediocre. Lots of good places to hunt in Africa. Some scam guys and then there are those in between.... Use some caution and get a great experience for your money.
Bruce

I had a VERY poor report a couple of yrs ago from someone using Cabelas for booking...... They are selling a product that they may know very little about. For this kind of trip you need to take decide who is best for you. If you do decide to pursue this course of action get some references from this and last year. Then when you call them ask how many times they have been to Africa. Weed out the first timers. They have no baseline to compare a hunt there to. Really. Almost without exception first timers think its great when in fact it may just be mediocre. Lots of good places to hunt in Africa. Some scam guys and then there are those in between.... Use some caution and get a great experience for your money.
Bruce
Thanks. I've been weighing my options & I'm really not sure right now. Too far away from home to get scammed. I've got another good option that my friend uses. He just got back.