Baboon culling in South Africa

Here's one I took in Namibia in 2017. Where I was hunting they definitely tried to quickly get far away if they spotted a human. I suppose it's because they had been hunted before. The land owners do their best to eliminate them due to the damage they cause. They are absolutely a very smart animal. So, for me it was a challenging hunt. It's a great animal to add to a plains game hunt.

View attachment 204978View attachment 204979View attachment 204980
Perhaps if you had a women's wig, dress and high heels you've been more successful. This is not a sexes thing. Just fact. 🤪

Is that the "F" version?
Unknown to me. It's got the "D" canopy, but that may have carried over to the "F" model. I am unsure if there ever was an "F" model; I will take your word for it. The image is of the "3rd" iteration; maybe the previous two crashed and this third is the rebuilt with replacement parts. You just gotta love the Mustang. A truly great airplane. Tom Cruise wanted one so badly, he found one and bought it. Flies it, too...

Good day ...... I joind the forum specifically to get a few ideas and conformaions on a rifle build I am bussy with ....... and so far it has been exceptionally helpfull ....

But something elses ...... I live in South Africa and worked as a P.H full time for a few years ( Hunting is not my profession ) I still hunt more than most in areas all over the country . In the Eastern Cape I have access to a number of large properties and they have a unique problem, Baboons ! . They shoot them on site ! kapish ! . But still there are litrally thousands of them destroying maize crops, killing sheep and antelope lambs etc etc . There numbers have exploded due tio trhe easy availability of food .

I was wondering if there would be a few guys wanting to come over and shoot a few of them , This would be a typicl senario .....
1. Arrive in Johannesburg - catch a connecting flight either to East London or Port Elizabeth . (If our national arrier has nt sorted them selves out by then ...then we travel down by truck + - 900km .... or fly down and send the rifles by road to the destination ...or charter a KingAir .....
2. Bringing your own rifle is the idea ...no fun shooting with someones elses pride and joy. (to do this we would work through a local outfitter . (you need an outfitters letter to temporary import the rifle OR ! we arrange a PRS match and we arrange that you shhot the match, in that way we bring in the rifles)
3. I would say you would need about 5 days to enjoy the trip , so in all , lets say 7-8 days.
4. the group would be broken up into two shooters per group (spotter/shooter ) we would bait a number of areas .... then have hides setup at about 400 -700m ( I guess we would get two chances per spot per day ) ....... 5-6 shooters max.
5. Yes ther would be a fee (day fees which would include transport in the bush (exceptionally mountainous terain) Lunch/Brunch and dinner.
6. If you wanted to take one back (dead) we would need to arrange a CITES permit well in advance .... all primates are CITSES listed . including baboons - however baboons are classed as vermin in many parts of South Africa.
7. we would bait them a few days before with corn ........in areas that are known for baboons ...... yes you would be able to shoot something else but the primary goal would be baboons .

Keep in mind that there are many South Africans that would gladly do this but time is the big issue , also the farmers also shoot them so this would be a way of testing your metal and having a good time for miniml $$$$ .

I did this about three years back with a well known US Hunter from Oregon , he did a normal plains game hunt and the baboons were a "time filler".... initally he was against it but when he saw the number of baboons his mind changed quickly.

If there are interested members ...... PM me with your details ... when I have suffecient then we start the planning ......

Minimum calibre I would say would be a 6.5 creedmore , or something similar that has the equivelent energy out to 700m..... I use a 8x68s which is overkill (excuse the pun) .......but there is no such thing as to much gun.
[/QUOTE

Hi what that chances of. South African joking in I live in Johannesburg

Hi Mamba308, for sure !!! in fact contact me or send me a PM with your mail address or phone number (please mention who you are ) we don't need to wait for next year !

send me your mail address , yes we can arrange something … I have done this a few times …..... problem is you need a group of ten guys … so you can end up with 4-6 (a few always pull out because of other understandable commitments )