South Africa Plains Game in 2024

I recommend you go to a show like the NRA Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg PA in February. There will be several African outfits there. That or join a local chapter of Safari Club International. They auction hunts at their banquets. Arrange your trip from here.
Good Luck! Hunting in Africa is addicting...

Also, can attend any of the Safari Club International Show/Conventions. Pick the one nearest to you, and try to attend the earliest one so you can book your hunt. I did mine with my son in 2014, package deal and added a couple of extra annimals.

Call Spiral Horn Safari...tell him you talked to Ed B...he will know--you will have a great hunt--no scam--it will be reasonable and you will hunt with a good man. If you would like to speak with me beforehand please PM me.

Louis was the hunter of the year Houston Safari Club, he has hunted "big name" guys and poor ol guys like me...you will like him.

Ed

Last edited:
Just got back from South Africa. I recommend Trophy Game Safaris (TGS). Hunted plains game. Wife accompanied me - lodging great, food phenomenal, service first class. Flew Atlanta to Jburg, overnighted at Jburg, PH met us at hotel and 4 hour drive to lodge (we chose to drive to see country, could have flown connector). 7 day hunt and then 3 days at Kruger. Connecting flight to Jburg. Direct flight home Jburg to Atlanta. Rented rifle for even less hassle. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
I was in Africa 1 month ago to dart a rhino. Shot planes game as extra. I won an auction at SCI It was with African Field Sports 3 hours from Port Elizabeth. The accommodations were first class. My guide was also great. We drove in a Toyota land cruiser I shot 6 planes animals I am over 70 so this might be perfect for you. They will be at DSC and SCI if you want to contact them. I was going to bring my own rifle but the airlines screwed up, so I used theirs.

I was in Africa 1 month ago to dart a rhino. Shot planes game as extra. I won an auction at SCI It was with African Field Sports 3 hours from Port Elizabeth. The accommodations were first class. My guide was also great. We drove in a Toyota land cruiser I shot 6 planes animals I am over 70 so this might be perfect for you. They will be at DSC and SCI if you want to contact them. I was going to bring my own rifle but the airlines screwed up, so I used theirs.
Amazed at the number of hunters I saw at Jburg that had misplaced/late rifles and bows - sounds like it worked out but huge hassle dealing with airports and trying to get rifle/bow to link up for hunt. I will rent again in 2024.

I've been over 8 times and I'll be heading back next month. One of the best things you could do would be to join over to Africahunting.com. There are around 2 dozen outfitters on there that post some great bargains on a regular basis. Read the hunt reports. Read the hunts offered. You'll find some great deals.
I would also suggest talking to Tsala Safaris. They are less than 3 hrs drive from Joberg. Their pricing is less than most, but their service and lodge are top notch. They are usually at SCI. Any of the big shows allow you to meet the outfitters in person. Johanrie at Tsala handles the bulk of the corespondence. Her Whatsapp number is +27 78 471 8788. Family oriented place. Here is a link to my hunt report with Tsala:

I have been to Africa 9 times - 8 for hunting and once for business. The business trip was to South Africa. In South Africa I stayed with a colleague - across the road from him was a "hunting lodge" - about 3,000 acres of high fence.

I have a friend from South Africa who lives in the US and is a hunter; you would not believe how many operations buy their animals at auctions - they are raised like cattle and sold to hunting operations.

For these reasons, I would avoid South Africa unless you know for sure there is no high fence (east Cape area is normally not high fenced). Sure, you may never see the fence, but the fact is, it is there.

I would go to Namibia and hunt with Jan du Plessis at Sebra Safaris. Only guy I ever hunted with twice. He has great plains game and great prices. I have hunted Namibia three times; the only country I have hunted more is Tanzania (which blows the other options, as well as your budget, out of the water).

Alternatively, you could go with Wayne Van Den Bergh in Zimbabwe.

Most places in RSA have a high fence. In the Limpopo province it is the law if you want to sell hunts. Depending on the cover 5,000 acres can be fair chase and you not get your animal. I tend to prefer 10,000 acres or more.
Namibia is a good suggestion. A number of good operations there. For your want list you could also look at Botswana. In my mind Zimbabwe is an option but takes a back seat to some of the other choices for plains game.
Bruce

Most places in RSA have a high fence. In the Limpopo province it is the law if you want to sell hunts. Depending on the cover 5,000 acres can be fair chase and you not get your animal. I tend to prefer 10,000 acres or more.
Namibia is a good suggestion. A number of good operations there. For your want list you could also look at Botswana. In my mind Zimbabwe is an option but takes a back seat to some of the other choices for plains game.
Bruce
I actually hunted a high fence operation in Zim for leopard, but it was about a million acres. I am fairly certain it didn't stop leopards from crossing back and forth; place even had elephants, which can knock down the fences.

On the other hand, that million acres was not stocked with bred animals. That is my real beef with South Africa. I might hunt the Eastern Cape, but not likely - Tanzania or Zambia. Ranch hunting is ok but a tented safari in a huge reserve is like being on another planet.

I knew a guy in South Africa that bred buffalo...they measured them at like 2--if they were not XXX he kicked them out into a open farm of 7,980 hectares a little more than 17,500 ac-- and hunted them when. They were hard bossed I hunted a nice bull there and had a wonderful time. I have hunted buffalo in "wild" Africa and on farms too...they were both wonderful--if done right he can have a wonderful experience in South Africa, Botswana, or Zimbabwe...just remeber in some parts of wild Africa--water is very dependent--I hunted one block years ago and all we did was drive the boundary looking for game to cross over--I would have much rather hunted the open farm in South Africa where I saw buffalo every day...sometimes the fence is meant to keep things out--other than hold things in...just food for thought.

I knew a guy in South Africa that bred buffalo...they measured them at like 2--if they were not XXX he kicked them out into a open farm of 7,980 hectares a little more than 17,500 ac-- and hunted them when. They were hard bossed I hunted a nice bull there and had a wonderful time. I have hunted buffalo in "wild" Africa and on farms too...they were both wonderful--if done right he can have a wonderful experience in South Africa, Botswana, or Zimbabwe...just remeber in some parts of wild Africa--water is very dependent--I hunted one block years ago and all we did was drive the boundary looking for game to cross over--I would have much rather hunted the open farm in South Africa where I saw buffalo every day...sometimes the fence is meant to keep things out--other than hold things in...just food for thought.
I agree. Port Elizabeth is where the hunt is that I'm most interested in. A huge property with a fence. Some 100K acres. The guy from Cabelas adventures was very helpful